Me and Ren

I felt a cold sensation touch my cheeks.

I rubbed my eyes and saw Ms. Earhart smile.

"Good morning, Ms. Collins"

I immediately stood up. It looked like I fell asleep while replacing the leaves because there were some dried foliage in my hands.
"Go-good morning" I replied. She pointed at her bottom-left lip. Huh? I tried to copy her. I felt a dried-sticky liquid. My face became hotter. I quickly cleaned my mouth and turned around. Oh no! I can't face her anymore! To show this side of myself..... Ugh, how embarrassing!

"You don't need to be shy. Sometimes, I also do it" She's really nice! But...
"B-but, it's still embarrassing" I peeked a little and saw her back. I threw my embarrassment right a way.
"More importantly, how's your wound? Are you okay?"
"Ah, yes. I am fine. Thank you" she smiled. Her eyes landed behind me. "You also cleaned up the house. I don't know how to thank you"
"No, it's okay. I just returned the favor when you also helped me recover" I pointed at my bandages. Her eyes followed my gesture. When I removed my hands, she continued to stare. Out of the blue, tears came out from her eyes. I panicked.

"A-are you really okay? Does it still hurts?" I asked.
"N-no, it doesn't hurt anymore..... I'm really sorry. I dragged you into this..... and your clothes were destroyed because of me...." Ahh. That's why her eyes were focused on me a while ago.

"It's alright, Ms. Earhart. I have plenty of these clothes at home..." Home. I missed my home.
"I-is that so? Then, can I ask a favor?" Hmmm?
"Yes? What is it?"
"Can you call me Ren, instead of Ms. Earhart?"
"Ok. But call me Nise in exchange" A smile lit her face up.
"Yes, Nise!" We both giggled.

I suddenly remembered Ren's words. I looked down.
"By the way, Ren, I heard you mumble something when I was taking care of you.....so-something like Aki?" Silence followed.

Ugh, it feels so awkward all of a sudden. I was sweating. A lot. I wiped my forehead to remove the sweat. I tried to look at her expression.

She was blushing. More like extremely blushing. Throb.....

"Aahhhh....that......" She was really shy. She tried to cover her face with the blanket. Throb.....
"Aahhhh, how can I say this...." Throb.....
"He was my savior" Phew....wait, why did I sigh with relief?
"Savior? What do you mean by that?" She looked out at the window, a warm smile enveloped her face.
"Hmmm.....before I answer your question, have you wondered about what happened last time?"

Now that I think of it, it really WAS strange. Why did the villagers want to drove her out? And why did I hear her say something like barriers and " not enough to hold them back " thing?

"Maybe its time to let you see it for real. My wounds are almost healed so this should be fine" she said.

~ Seeing the color
Breathing the air,
Looking up, the sun is bright as usual.

It flies like the hour
Without you here,
Everything will never be normal ~

Her singing was like an angel descending the heaven. When I listened to it, it was very nostalgic. I don't remember but I think I heard it somewhere before. I closed my eyes to feel the song.

Warm and gentle. That's what I'd like to describe it.

A gust of wind suddenly came in from the window. It's not violent but instead, it help us cool down. Now that I think of it, it's pretty hot in here. No wonder I was sweating a lot.

A bright yellow light appeared in my dark vision when I closed my eyes. I opened them and saw Ren surrounded by the light. I was amazed.

"So, that is Magic" I blurted out. Ren was surprised but it didn't disturbed her concentration.
"Oh, you already knew. Yes, it is magic" she said. The air dispersed almost immediately after she replied to me.
"Is your magic an air-type one? Then why didn't I sense the wind when you took down the beast?" I asked. A sad smile appeared on her face. Oh no. I shouldn't have done that.
"Sorry, I shouldn't have said that. I interrupted while you were talking." I apologized.
"No, it's ok. I was about to tell you everything. I just feel down whenever I talk about my past and origin" She sadly replied.

I breathe deeply, prepared to take in all the information. Maybe this is it. Maybe this will get all the answers I needed.

"My magic is not only limited to air. It is Universal. To use my magic, I just only need to sing. I don't need incantations..." she paused. I gulped, waiting for her.

"It's because........ I am half human, half Siren"

Sirens.

They were creatures that appeared 5,000 years ago. We knew them because they were renowned to be the strongest beings here on Thrae, our home planet. Their singing was like nothing you've ever heard. About how they disappeared were still unknown. Even the source of this information was also unknown. Experts debate whether they really exist or not. Well, I believed them to be fairy tales until now. Half Siren? No wonder her voice was really amazing....but, crossbreeds between Sirens and humans never happened, according to the books. I tried to ask her.

"Siren? I thought that they hate humans?" This was also a fact.
"Even I knew little about my parents. I was raised by an old and kind gardener named Rob. I call him Grandpa Rob. He told me about my background when I turned 12 and that my parents loved me. He was very nice to accept me for who I was, even to the point of .... of sacrificing his life " Tears flowed down from her cheeks. I felt guilty because she has to remember her past just to tell me......wait, why is she telling me all of these, again? Even though I didn't asked her about her past and origin. Although she maybe the reason I was sent here, just telling me her magical type was enough because that's all I need.

" Well, I'm not alone." She wiped her face and continued. "Grandpa Rob also took one orphan boy before me." I saw her face turned gentle.

"His name was Aki"

"Aki Ortiz"