Eight

A/N: I apologise for the late update. I've been occupied for the past days. If you haven't heard yet, I have my second book out of the Mr. Mogul series next month. Thank you for those who have been supporting that series up until now. I appreciate it. And also, thank you for supporting my new stories as well.

-------

It was a twenty-minute drive from Central Avenue towards the resort. Throughout the ride, I was stuck in the back seat with Lenna and Gavin, who sat between us. Once we reached our destination, I spoke up for the first time since we entered the car.

I kept my voice low as I glanced down at Gavin's sleeping face. "This is a lovely place. Thanks for inviting me today, if I forgot to say it later."

"No problem. And I'm glad you agreed to hang out with strangers," Lenna replied with the same volume as she brushed back her son's hair.

"I'm still reeling on the fact that you haven't tried mountain biking before," Archie suddenly spoke up in remarks to our last conversation at the bakeshop.

I smiled at his comment but no longer defended my claim. Instead, my eyes were glued to the scenery outside as Gabe effortlessly parked the car in front of a huge cabin lounge. The exterior was mostly made up of wood than concrete, which differs from the building I'm used to seeing. But the luxury design wasn't new to me.

"Wow. I didn't expect to see this," I commented unconsciously.

"Though this couldn't compare to your skyscrapers, but we could hold our own." Gabe smugly pointed.

"I'll give you that," I agreed with an approving smile.

Everyone slowly piled out of the car excluding Lenna. She stayed in the car for a moment longer as she patiently waited for Gavin to get his barring. The kid instinctively clanged to his mother once he woke up and allowed her to carry him out. Seeing her struggle on her hold on him, I jogged around the car to help out. While heading around the back of the car, Archie subtly walked up to me.

"Go easy on them. They've been through a lot," he whispered in passing as he continued walked around the truck, his eyes already set on the mounted bike.

I peered in his direction with confusion and contemplated on his words. But then I quickly turn back towards Lenna, who wasn't in a good position as she closed the car door without loosing her grip on Gavin.

With quick steps, I shut the door for her and tugged the bag she held. She looked at me in surprise for a moment before nodding her head in gratitude. Shifting Gavin's weight on her hip, she called out for Archie's attention.

"A little help next time would be appreciated!" She sarcastically informed while rubbing her son's back in comfort. The little boy's eyes fluttered open at his mother's slight outburst.

"You're welcome." Archie replied bluntly without looking in her direction.

Lenna stared at him for another moment without a word before turning on her heel and started walking towards the resort's lounge. Gabe had been undeniably silent through the short banter. But the grin on his face stated he was in on Archie's childish act.

"Wow, really? Her?" Archie mouthed and pointed a thumb in her direction as I spun towards him.

"What?" I mouthed back, looking clueless.

"If you don't like it, Archie, I suggest you don't get involved with it." Gabe remarked as he stopped for a moment before following behind Lenna.

With an innocent shrug, I smiled at Gabe in agreement and followed behind him, leaving Archie with a defeated look.