Nine

A/N: This is the last update for the weekend. I hope you all have a lovely week. 

Happy reading!

---------

I wasn't great on spiritual beliefs. But in that moment I was praying for a miracle to happen. If I were the first person to react, I knew a man who's drawn to chaos would find a way to create one. On the twentieth time I chanted the prayer on my head, a hand was placed on my left shoulder, making me look up at the new addition to the company. My prayer had been answered.

"I thought you have a meeting with you father," Gabe stated without greeting Stephen. The mood he was in was palpable in the room.

"Is that why you all decided to head out and had fun without me?" he countered in challenge.

In the corner of my eyes, I noticed Lenna visibly flinched at the tone of Stephen's voice.

"There was no need for us to find a reason to go out and have fun today. Don't twist this situation on how you see it," Gabe defended without the slightest intimidation from him. "So why are you here? And how did you even know we are here?"

"Can't I be here to join my family?" he pointed loudly, growing more attention in our direction.

I felt Gabe tightened his grip on my shoulder. I kept my face passive while allowing him to fight back the sore thumb.

"Shut the mouth of yours!" Gabe hissed softly. His voice was low enough that I wasn't sure Stephen heard. But from the grim expression on his face, he got the message. "Get up! Leave Lenna and Gavin for today. We will see you when we get home." He continued in command.

"You can't...!" Stephen countered but was cut off when Gabe took a step forward, almost bumping on the table.

My eyes darted at Gavin out of worry since he was in Stephan's arm. I saw Lenna's hand never left his wrist. The little boy looked frightened yet keeping it calm. I wanted to tell him it was okay and ruffled his hair for his bravery.

I watched Stephen handed Gavin back to Lenna, who hurriedly took him away from him as he mumbled a few profanities in defeat. "I want them home before five, got it? And I will be visiting," Stephen called out one last time as he left the table.

It wasn't until Archie talked I noticed his presence behind me. "I couldn't believe the prick found out about today. Did you think someone followed us here, or one of his goons saw us?"

"I saw Lenard when we were heading the lodge. I think it was him." Gabe replied to him as he let his hand go from my shoulder.

But I was no longer interested in their conversation. I leaned across the table and touched Lenna's arm. She was giving light kissed on Gavin's forehead while whispering softly to him, which I couldn't hear. From the remorse look on the little boy's face, she was giving him encouragement and assurance.

"Are you okay?" I asked her softly, stopping her from chanting words to Gavin.

"I'm fine. Thank you for staying, but I apologize for letting you sit through it." She replied guiltily. "I hope I didn't ruin your day."

"No. I had fun. Thank you for inviting me."

She gave me an answering smile before Gabe took our attention. We decided it would be better to have our lunch in town. Before heading back, we bought a take out meal for Gavin, since he was already hungry.

Arriving back, Gabe treated us for some smoked ribs. I wasn't one to deny a mouth-watering temptation. We stayed in the restaurant for a good hour, eating and chatting. After having our meal, they dropped me off at my place. They parked the car in the curb near the house. I was out of the car when Lenna spoke up.