Ten

A/N: Hello everyone! Sorry for another late update. I've been busy these days since I have school and I'm also preparing for my second book. I hope you'll understand. But I will not neglect this story. I will update two chapters weekly.

Thank you for you understanding and support!

P.S. Another update in an hour.

---------

The café had at least five customers, including Lenna and I, who were drinking a hot beverage to keep warm from a chilly night. Across the table, a group of high school students were chattering loudly, lightening up the tension of what had happen.

Lenna remained silent after I gave her hot chocolate drink. She kept on sipping every few seconds while holding the warm glass with both hands. I hadn't engaged her in a conversation until she was ready. And when she was, her words needed no response from me. She gently started telling me about Stephen.

They were high school sweethearts. During her junior year and Stephen's senior year, he had been courting her for over a few months before they've became official. It was a typical popular guy dating one of the school's beauties. Everyone expected them to be dating even before Stephen held interest with her. But like any other egotistical popular teen in high school, Stephen wasn't completely committed with their relationship. He openly flirted with the other girls, which Lenna blindly ignored.

"When I thought about it now, I wanted to slap myself for being so tolerant. I was afraid to be an outcast if I broke up with him. Everyone knew he was a man who doesn't get dumped by girls like me. Things were always that way when you are born in a privileged family. But it wasn't all fun in games during high school. Even then, you get a glimpse of how the real world works." The bitter tone of her voice was drowned by the teenagers laugh across from us. "Though I hadn't realize there was an option to get away and leave, but then I had Gavin. I had no regrets when I had him in my life. Because of him, I got something to fight and live for another day."

After baring her soul to a stranger, she had become silent again. I cued it as my turn to talk.

"Even though you're pressured to be in a relationship with him, everything was a conscious decision. Don't loath yourself for choosing to believe and love someone even if he hadn't lived your expectations."

For the first time since we entered the car, her weary almond eyes locked with my gaze. She gave me a strained smile before putting her beverage down.

"You know, for a guy, you're very attentive."

"And for someone who looked tough, you're rather sentimental." I countered in humor.

She coughed a laugh, her weary eyes brightening up. Mirroring her expression, I chuckled and smiled back then gave her a playful wink. Lenna shook her head in amusement as she grabbed her glass again and finished her drink.

Lenna decided to head back home. I offered her a ride, which she gladly accepted. The drive to her place was short. She lived at an apartment complex near Central Avenue. I parked the car on the third house unit per her instruction. Studying the exterior design of the compound, all yellow-painted two-story apartment was identical. There were approximately twenty units fenced within the vicinity. It was difficult to distinguish who lived where with the exemption of the number engraved by the door.

"This is me," she announced.

"Which one is your place?" I asked out of interest.

"That door across from us," she replied and pointed at the door opposite from the truck.