Chapter 30

An hour later we are pulling into the drive way of an extravagant mansion sized home. Out front, lining the grand marble staircase to the entrance, are reporters and paparazzi lined up to snap pictures of the event taking place tonight. 

When a new car would pull into the drive that was worthy of their attention, bright flashing lights would crowd around the car from behind their velvet ropes that held them back from the walk way. 

Once the car was parked, a man dressed in a red valet coat and festive green tie opened the doors to the car and waited patiently with a smile on his face. They took the keys from the car's owner and whisked it away to park it for them. The couple would then stop and shake hands or hug a couple that was standing at the bottom of the stairs. I could only assume it was Orion's parents. 

I started taking deep breaths to steady my rapidly beating heart. The car around me felt like it was closing in and my palms were sweating. I felt like a hummingbird trapped inside of a mason jar. Struggling to be let free, only so I could escape this prison that looked beautiful on the outside to anyone looking in, but hot and magnified from the inside looking out.

As if he sensed my discomfort, Orion reached a hand to my side of the car and took mine in his. He gave it a tight squeeze and brought the back of my hand to his lips. "Don't be nervous. They will love you, just as much as I do."

His words sent conflict throughout my body. He loved me and that made me calm, but hurt me that I couldn't say it back. Instead of saying anything, I smiled nervously and squeezed his hand. If he was hurt, he was a master at not showing it.

We pulled up to the bottom of the stairs and instantly the cameras started going off like lightning. I was blinded by the light and deafened by the shuttering of cameras. It had only now occurred to me that my picture was being taken and would be somewhere on the internet or newspaper or magazine by morning. I tried my best to push down the fears that were now clawing up my throat. It hurt and I wanted to run and hide or duck back into the car and speed off. Orion came around the car and wrapped his arm around my waist. He walked towards the smiling couple standing at the other end of the staircase.

"Orion, son, I'm so glad you made it here safely." The tall man said. I stared at him in wonder. Orion was his spitting image. Other than the salt and pepper hair that this man had, Orion and him had everything in common. Same strong jaw line, same forest green eyes, same tall structure that seemed to loom over you. Orion shook his hand firmly and then hugged who I assumed to be his mother. Once they pull away Orion introduces me.

"Mom, Dad, this is Raegan. My girlfriend." The word slipped past his lips so effortlessly, like it was the simplest thing in the universe. "Raegan, these are my parents, James and Margaret."

"Hello Mr. and Mrs. Miller. It's nice to finally meet you." I smile politely and shake their hands.

"The pleasure is our dear." His mother says and wraps me in a tight hug that I can't seem to escape from. "You are so much more beautiful than I could have ever imagined." She whispers. It warms my heart to hear so much sincerity in her soft tone. Orion may look like the spitting image of his father, but I could see similarities that he had with his mother as well. He had the same warmth that his mother did and the same welcoming atmosphere. 

Our men both chuckled behind us. Once we separated they pulled us back into their sides like the possessive cavemen they are. We heard a deep rumble come from behind us. Everyone that was once focused on the four of us turned to see where the noise was coming from, or should I say, who.

A shiny black sports car pulled up to the valet and shut off the engine. I don't know cars but I could spot this one from a mile away. This car was the only car my brother and father ever talked about.