Chapter 35

Oliver at the top

Tuesday, January 24

"Bye guys, I'm going to school. I'll see you later, text me if the guys are coming over tonight!"

Becca snorted from the kitchen and I could faintly hear her say bitterly, "Why? So you can disappear?"

I scowled even though I knew she couldn't see me. Honestly, it took her way longer to catch on than I thought it would. There was just no reason to add fuel to the fire. Jason didn't like me and I didn't like him. Plus, Paul had just told her to her face that we think her boyfriend is a rapist. I can see why anyone would be upset. Especially Becca, because she would believe anything that came out of Jason's mouth.

I finish pulling on my coat, rolling my eyes at her.

When I opened the door, I was instantly swarmed by flashing lights after someone yelled "It's her!"

"What the hell?" I murmured as I shielded my eyes with my hand to stop the little purple dots from forming.

"Ms. Donovan! Is it true that Orion Miller and you were dating?"

"I-"

"Ms. Donovan! Is it true you really are a stripper? Is that how you and Mr. Miller met?"

"What-"

"Ms. Donovan can you comment on the allegations that were made of your prostitution by Orion Miller?"

"Excuse me?" I screeched. I could feel the blood rushing to my cheeks as I shot daggers at the reporter that asked if I was a prostitute. He didn't even have the common decency to look ashamed. None of them did. "Get out of my way!" I shoved through the camera wielding monkeys and ran towards my car. 

They flocked around me making me feel like I couldn't escape. The space around me was becoming encased in bright white lights. I finally reached my car and pried the door open even though they were blocking my way. The vultures outside still tried talking to me and taking my picture through the window, so I turned my car on and revved the engine. 

I would run them over, no hesitation. 

Some of their eyes got wide and they started to back away, but others just kept at taking pictures of me. I started edging away from the curb slowly. A few more stepped back and I took my chance and sped away as fast as I could until I couldn't see their faces or the flash of a camera anymore. But that doesn't mean I couldn't still hear their words swimming inside of my head.

As soon as I parked I rushed into school with my hood pulled over my head and my hand shielding my face from prying eyes. There was no way I would let them follow me here. I sat alone in my empty first class for ten minutes before anyone started showing up. No one sat near me I was somewhat grateful for that. 

I'm sure it was because they had heard something about me but at the moment I didn't care. I just wanted to be alone. I blankly watched each person come in through the door and find a seat as far away from me as possible. I must have looked horrible because people looked at me as if I was a ghost. The only person that would understand walked into the classroom last. Oliver.

He sent me a sympathetic look and took his seat behind the professors desk. His dark brown hair was messy as usual, but he was wearing a wrinkled t-shirt. If there was one thing I knew about Oliver, it was that he did not wear t-shirts to school. It was either polo shirts or button ups. He was preppy that way, always saying it's what he will wear to work, so it's what he wears to school.