004 - Chapter Four

*timeskip - four days until Eleanor's birthday.*

Eleanor let out a quiet grumble as she walked down the stairs. She leaned against the wall and crossed her arms, looking up at everyone.

"I don't see the point in this." She pointed out. The group of children were to pair up and find their way around a forest only using a map and compass. They also have clues as to where they are meant to go, stuck on the trees. The answers to the questions had a direction towards another question and all of that sort of stuff.

All of the younger children had to be put into threes and also had an adult put with them.

The groups were:
Ryan, Finn and Harry (with Mike)
Floss, Toni and Billie (with May-Li)
Tee and Carmen
Tyler and Jody
Eleanor and Jared

"It's a way for you to be independent. The older kids have to get around without the help of the help of the adults. When you leave this place, you will have to make your own decisions and we might not be here to help you." Mike announced before everyone had to go into the Minibus, sitting with their partner (or group) for the day.

Eleanor sent Jared a small grin before taking a seat on the seats towards the back of the bus.

The two of them soon began to make conversation over superheroes. The pair could literally make conversation over anything and it would be somewhat deep and meaningful.

After a long hour, the Minibus had soon arrived at a forest.

"There is a checkpoint where everyone should meet at. You have two hours to get there. Now, we all have to part ways." Mike said. All of the children had parted ways in the forest.

Eleanor and Jared took the North East route and searched on every single one of the trees for a piece of paper with a question.

"Found it!" Eleanor exclaimed before opening the folded paper.

"What is the name of the main car in the Disney Pixar movie - cars? Lightening McQueen - turn right. Thunder Kingston - turn left." Jared began to read out as Eleanor immedietly walked towards the right hand side.

"That's the right way." She replied before they continued to walk together. "Hey Jared - can you get a stick off one of those trees and do some of that Eskrima martial arts stuff?" Eleanor joked as Jared let out a quiet laugh.

"Nah, I need a stick that's all smoothed down because otherwise I could get splinters in my hand." He explained to the girl.

"Ah, I hate splinters so much. Splinters and blisters."

"Especially with a new pair of shoes that look really nice yet they completely and utterly mess up your feet." He replied with a quiet laugh.

"Yeah!" She exclaimed before a slightly awkward silence had fallen between the two of them - to which Jared had decided to just speak up.

"So, are you looking forward to your birthday?" He asks, making another conversation.

"Yeah. I mean, I could go and visit my nan on that day. Like, I'm supposed to go in a couple of weeks but Mike has permitted me to go and visit her." She replied with a small shrug before discovering the next question.

"If a bluebird is a bird, and a blueberry is a Berry, what is a bluebell? Bell, turn right. Flower, turn left." Jared read out.

"These questions must really be made for five year olds. It's obviously a flower!" Eleanor grinned before they then took their next left.

The two of them continued walking and making small talk towards each other before reaching a ledge.

"Do we have to go down here?" Eleanor asked before sliding down the ledge anyway.