V

Finally home. I think to myself, just when we pull into the driveway. Gage and Ryan are out in the yard, playing frisbee. Mom is in the shed, making pots (she likes pottery). Dad is mowing the grass. Obviously, us Colts like to be outside. I have my own things to do outside. Mostly chores but they aren't bad. Filling bird feeders, cleaning the pool, pulling weeds, etc etc etc. But the thing that I actually like doing is tending to my garden. I love planting flowers. So far I have 28 lilies, 13 roses, 9 tulips, and 4 geraniums. I plan on adding but I think that what I have is enough for now.
Waverly and Jasen go inside to get snacks, and Bryce follows me to my garden. I put my backpack on the ground, and drop to my knees, pulling weeds. "Wow. You get right down to business don't you?" Bryce asks me, pulling my hair back into a ponytail. He always does this. Everyday after school, I go straight to my garden, and he puts my hair up. That's the routine.
"Hey Bryce! Haven't seen you since 4:00 o'clock today." Gage grins, and they do their weird handshake. They both laugh and I roll my eyes, pulling a weed. "And of course, there's green thumb over there..." Gage pulls my ponytail and I slap his hand with a smirk.
Time passes and they finally leave me to garden in peace. Weed after weed, my garden becomes a work of art. Beautiful reds contrast with deep purples. Greens and browns and oranges are everywhere. It's perfect. "Angelique!" I hear my name called for dinner. I find that my name is called a lot these days...
*****