VI

Dinner is over, and the chaos begins. Dishes thrown, kids crying, Bryce slamming the door on his way out, parents yelling, and me running up the stairs.......
Dinner was fine. There were normal conversations all around. Until we got to the topic of Gage going to college. He wants to take a year off, and explore his choices but mom and dad aren't happy about it. There was a huge fight about him doing what he wants and what colleges he's supposed to go to. Gage got mad, and started the whole fiasco.
So that brings me back to now, sitting on my bed with my face in my knees, bawling my eyes out. This happens almost every night. It's a luxury when we go out to eat or when there isn't fighting. Ryan rushes in my room, and jumps onto my lap. I hold her as we both cry, hearing yelling and furniture being flipped. We know Jasen runs out the door when we hear his car start up; he always leaves when this happens to go see Waverly. "Angelique?" I hear a small voice. "Ryan?" I answer back, mocking her tone. "When is it over?" She sobs into my shirt. "Soon." I reply, just like always.
And just like always, I am right. We hear the door slam, mom crying, and dad crying out in frustration.
******
I wake up the next morning in my clothes from yesterday, and Ryan in my bed. I smile a little and push back her hair, revealing the young face. She wakes up from my touch, and gives me a hug. "Go get ready for school." I say, tugging her out of the bed. As soon as she leaves, I close the door and press my back against it, blocking out the rest of the world.
I get dressed in my favorite black romper, and put effort into my makeup for the day. I feel especially driven to look good today, to show that the fighting hasn't fazed me. Thinking back on it, that was one of the worst fights I have heard in a while. Sighing, I open up the door and go down the stairs. Wincing at the scene, I kick an over-turned chair.
Sigh.
I walk around and see dishes, chairs, pots, statues and more sprawled on the floor. "Is anyone home besides for Ryan?" I yell at the house. No answer. Still walking around, I see a note taped to the door.
Went to work. Gage and Jasen didn't come home. Called school and you and Ryan are off today. Have fun. Please clean up.
- Dad
Great. So not only am I stuck with Ryan, I have to clean up too. "Ryan!" I yell, and hear her jump the stairs. "What? Where is everyone?" She asks, and I hand her the note. She reads while I walk around, picking up chairs. "Hmmph. Why do WE have to pick up when THEY made the mess?" She asks in frustration. I laugh because she asks this every time. Ryan and I always end up picking up the mess. Picking up other people's messes has become an unnatural habit.
*******