Chapter 1

It was raining. It was always raining. Cif Katley sat at the back of the dull, worn down bus and peered out the window, her short hair in her eyes. Her hands were pulled into her long brown sweater sleeves, and she was shivering from the cold air on the non-heated bus as they hit a bump in the road. Cif sighed. Only fourteen years old and she was sent off the meet her her grandmother's new boyfriend, who lived all the way across the country.

 Other than the elderly bus driver, Cif was alone on the seemingly never-ending bleak ride. She closed her eyes and tried to hope this summer trip would be better than her first year in high school.

After sitting for what seemed like multiple lifeless hours, Cif took a nap. She awoke to burning sunlight and a gruff voice saying they arrived in the town.

"Thanks," Cif said in a groggy voice, her eyes still half shut, and her arm, which was bundled up in her sweater, trying to obstruct the glowing sunlight.

She grabbed her suitcase and pulled herself off the bus. She hurried to the entrance of the worn-down town and looked at the sign. "Gravity Falls" it read in all capitals.

 After reading the sign, Cif grabbed her suitcase and hurried to the attraction in the town called the Mystery Shack. It was an old wooden building, and needed some serious renovation, for the 'S' from "Shack" had fallen off the sign. The old building, and the whole town had an odd mysterious woodsy charm that made Cif feel welcome and creeped out at the same time. How odd, she thought.

Cif took a deep breath before knocking on the door of the building.  She was always nervous about meeting new people, especially in new places. Someone came to the door and Cif knocked several times.

A man who looked about mid seventies wearing a suit and a fez opened the door with a forced smile, trying to be enthusiastic, though it was easy to tell he was bored out of his mind.

"Hello, tourist, come into the Mystery Shack and experience a world of mysterious and unexplainable sights!" He said and adjusted his glasses. His hair was gray, but not a dulling hateful gray. It was a gray that said he didn't care if his was near eighty years old, he was still going to make the most of life. His attitude didn't match, however, and it was obvious he was bored with the day.

Cif looked at him and smiled. "I'm Cif," she spoke up, "I'm Coraline's granddaughter, actually, but I'd love tour though this place."

The man looked at her and laughed. "Oh well then nice to meet you, you look just like your grandma!"

Cif smiled. "Thanks, I uh, I get that a lot." Cif resembled her grandmother a great deal. They both had the curly short red hair, green eyes, porcelain skin, very light freckles, high cheekbones, pale peach lips, and a curvy figure.

No one told Cif she looked like her beauty queen mother, who had long wavy blonde hair, cold pale blue eyes, thin hips, stern face, and glowing tan skin with pink cheeks and dull but beautiful dark pink lips.

"The name's Stan Pines," the man said in his scratchy, gruff voice, "And you're gonna have to pay for that tour."

Cif laughed, and Stan welcomed her inside to the shack. Behind the exhibits and gift shop area was a living room with stone walls and an old television, as well as some old wooden table. There was a boy who looked about Cif's age, maybe a little older, at one of the tables. He had dark brown hair, tanned skin, and brown eyes.

"Hey," the boy said and smiled. "You must be Cif, and my name's Dipper Pines. Stan's my great uncle."

Cif smiled and looked at Dipper. "Nice to meet you."

Cif hurried upstairs to get unpacked, and on the way up Stan said to her, "See you met Dipper, he and his twin sister Mabel have been coming here every summer since they were twelve."

After nodding with a understanding look, Cif walked upstairs, lugging her heavy suitcase behind her. She looked in the room next to her own and saw a girl who looked like Dipper.

"Hi," Cif waved to the girl, "Are you Mabel?"

The girl stood up, and she was undeniably beautiful. She had long flowing deep brown hair that reached her waist in an elegant fashion. Her eyes were also deep brown, practically black, her skin wasn't as tanned as Dipper's, but she had a healthy glow. She wore a dark pink sweater and jeans with high heeled pink shoes and a pink headband that held her gorgeous hair out of her face perfectly, She wore nothing but powder, mascara, and lip gloss. Slowly the girl looked up from her phone.

"I'm Mabel, are you're Cif?" Mabel was only partly listening.

"Yes, I'm Cif," Cif smiled and looked at Mabel.

"Nice to meet you," Mabel said in a bored tone. "Your rooms up one more flight of stairs.

"Thanks," Cif mumbled.

 When she arrived in the loft of the building, Cif looked at the clock and saw in was already after nine at night. She stripped down to nothing but her bra and underwear and grabbed a towel. The shower was on the second floor, so she hurried down the stairs quietly, and found the bathroom. She took a quick shower, since the hot water was out, put on her pajamas, flopped down on her bed upstairs, exhausted, and fell asleep in minutes.