Chapter 10

From now on all chapters will have spoilers from Captain America Civil War.
__________________________
"How was SHIELD" Steve asked as I walked into the apartment.

"It was fine, and I can walk again, so when's my next mission" I asked casually, as if this were a completely normal conversation.

"Hang on, how can you walk again" asked James.

"A couple of the scientists made a drug or something that fixed my leg. I have full use of it back" I said, bending my knee for them to see "I also blew up Hydra".

"What" they yelled in unison. I had unintentionally confused them.

"Um, we blew up all of the known Hydra bases" I repeated as if it were the most normal thing on earth "so it's no longer a huge treat to my well being".

It was still a threat to my wellbeing, but it was slightly less so.

"That's nice, but I should probably head to headquarters" I saw the packed bag on the floor.

"Are you going somewhere" I asked.

"It's a short mission. I'll see you two in a couple days. Don't kill each other" Steve grabbed his bag and walked out of the apartment.

A day later, I was back at Avengers Headquarters. A lot had happened while I was with SHIELD. Clint left, saying that he was retired, and several Wakandans were killed in a bombing in Lagos, Nigeria. That had been a result of Steve's mission.

The Secretary of State, Thaddeus Ross, was briefing us on the Sokovia Accords. It was a more revised version of the Superhuman Registration Act, and it was dumb.

"New York, DC, Sokovia, Lagos" the Secretary showed us footage from each of the events.

"That's enough" Steve said quietly l, looking down at the table. We were all staring at the floor or the table, all filled with guilt for the destruction that we had helped cause.

"Some call you heroes, although many would prefer the term vigilantes" Ross continued "people are afraid. They want you to be contained. So from now on, you operate only with the say of the government. Some of you should be locked up, but that isn't for me to decide".

Ross looked right at me when he said those words. That was the last thing he said to us before leaving.

Later, we were all sitting around, discussing our options. Everyone was arguing. "I want no part in this" I stated, knowing that I'd be thrown into a cell for sure "Tony, I know that you've already made up your mind, so say something".

"Too late, you know too much about this. Like it or not, mini Rogers, you're involved" Tony said after an uncharacteristically long period of silence for him "who put coffee grounds in the sink. Am I running a bed and breakfast for a gang of bikers".

Tony paused, pulling up a picture of a college aged man. He then explained to us what happened to the kid. He'd died in Sokovia. "There's no decision making process here. We need to be put in check. Whatever for that takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limitations, we're not better than the bad guys".

"Tony, if someone dies on your watch, you can't give up" Steve started.

"Who's ever given up".

"We are for not taking responsibility for our actions. This document shifts the blame" he continued.

"That's dangerously arrogant" Rhodey added "this is the UN. Not the Wolrd Security Council, not SHIELD, not Hydra-".

"But these people have agendas, and we all know that those can change" I said quietly.