Chapter Eighteen

I open my mouth but can form no words.

Finally, after a few minutes of silence, I manage to utter a single word.

"Month?"

AJ scratches the back of his neck, before gently pushing me over and laying down next to me.

"I could fill you in on everything you missed," he offers as if it is no big deal, and I nod gratefully.

Making himself comfortable, he sighs.

"Well... for starters. Joey."

I wince at the mention of my friend and he places a supportive hand on my shoulder.

"As of right now he is on the Raptors. We aren't sure why but Carlos seems certain that he wouldn't make that decision unless somehow forced to."

My eyes widen as I cough, and he intertwines our fingers together.

"Joey?" I whisper sadly.

I have known him forever. Why would he do that?

AJ nods sadly, but moves on.

"We're working on finding his whereabouts, because once I rescued you they all escaped and are now on the loose. I met your whole gang. I'm with them now."

I nod. That wasn't too surprising.

"Lila is out of the hospital. She's been here almost as much as me,"

AJ smiles cheekily, looking over at me as he plays with our intertwined fingers.

"And how much have you been here?" I ask with a smile.

He laughed at my remark.

"I haven't left your side more than three times a week."

My eyes widen as I stare at him in surprise.

"What about your family? Aren't they worried? Do they know your here?"

He sighs a little

"Well, you know my mom is dead. My dad remarried though, so I have a step mother named Helen."

I nodded, waiting for him to continue.

When he doesn't, I turn onto my side so that I am facing him.

"What's your dads name?"

His next words stun me.

But I am getting used to it these days.

Nothing is ever as it seems.

"You know him. His name is Chrome."