Chapter One

~Jack~

I walked up to my best friend (and crush) Grace Carroll's house, and I am just a bundle of nerves right now. I want to ask her out finally, because I've had a crush on her since the day we met way back in third grade. "Come on, Jack... you can do this." I took a deep breath. I knocked on the door, then stood back and waited for someone to answer. Her brother Charlie came out (she lives with him), and he smiled at me. I also get on quite well with him... he's another one of my friends. "Hey Jack, what's up bro?" he asked. "Uh, not much. Is Grace home?" I asked. "Yes, she is. Do you need her for something?" he asked. I just nodded in response. "Okay. Hey Gracie!" he called out. "Yeah?" she came halfway down the steps. "Jack's here for you." he looked at her. "Oh, hey Jack. What can I do for ya?" she came up to me. "Um, I have something I want to ask you." I scratched my head. "Okay, what is it?" she came out and closed the door. "Well... uh, would you like to go out with me?" I asked. "Oh my gosh, really?" she looked at me. "Yeah. I would like to take you out." I chuckled. "Wow, finally! I've been waiting for you to ask me out since forever." she punched my arm playfully. "Well, you know my twin brother Finn, right?" I asked. "Yeah, of course." she brushed her black hair over her right shoulder. "He's having a party this Friday at eight at his place." I said. "That sounds like fun. It's been awhile since I've gone to a good party." she smiled. "Okay then. It starts at eight, but I'll pick you up at 7:30... if that works for you." I suggested. "Yeah, 7:30 is perfect." Grace nodded. "Alright, great. It's a backyard pool party, so wear something casual. You don't have to dress too fancy or anything." I said. "Okay, I can do casual. Um, do you have to go right now Jack?" she took me by the wrist. "No, I don't really have to be anywhere. Why?" I asked. "I just feel like getting out of the house for awhile. Maybe we could take a walk, get some ice cream. It'll be my treat." she folded her hands in front of her. "Well, I can't argue with that. Let's go." I said. "I just need to get my shoes on." she chuckled. "Oh, alright. Go ahead. I'll wait." I put my hands in my pockets. She went back into her house, then came out again a few minutes later wearing white sandals. "Alright, now we can go." Grace closed the door. We started walking down the sidewalk, and she took me by the arm. "I think you're the first girl who's ever offered to buy me ice cream." I laughed. "Really?" she looked at me. "Yeah, besides my mum." I shrugged. "Oh, of course. Speaking of which, how is she?" she asked. "She's doing good, you know. Getting better everyday." I smiled. My mum slipped and hurt her back awhile ago, but she's been going to physical therapy and a chiropractor to make it better. "That's great, and what about Finn?" Grace asked. "Well, Finn is... Finn." I sighed. "Yeah, I hear that. I've never been to his parties, though. Are they any good?" she let go of me. "OH, yes. They can get pretty wild." I put my hands on top of my head. "Like, 'orgies and sniffing coke in the bathroom' wild or 'too much alcohol' wild?" she looked down at her feet. "Too much alcohol wild. Good Lord, what kind of parties have you been going to lately?" I gave her a look. "Not many really. I just think my brother and I have been watching too many movies." Grace snorted a little when she laughed. "Apparently so. Remind me to never go to any parties you and your brother decide to throw." I said. "Eh, we don't really party that much. I think I'd rather just sit up in my room and read a good book, and Charlie enjoys playing games on the Xbox." she shrugged. "I think that's why you, me and Charlie get on so well. We're all very laid-back, and we'd rather stay home and do our own thing." I said. "Exactly." she agreed. "But my brother? Well... he's a completely different story. He sweats alcohol and bleeds confetti. He is the epitome of a party animal!" I exclaimed. "Wow, sounds like it!" she chuckled. We got to the ice cream shop on third street and walked inside. "How can I help you guys?" Ginger asked. "You can order first, J." Grace told me. "I'll take a medium butterscotch in a waffle cone." I said. "Ooh, that sounds good. Make that two." she said. "Okay, that'll be... £24.57." she said. Grace took out her wallet and gave her the money.

A/N

The picture above is what Grace's brother Charlie looks like.