Chapter Twelve

~Grace~

-Time Skip To Grace's Birthday-

Today is my birthday, and I am so excited to finally be twenty! Jack's taking me to the mall for lunch, and we're sitting in his car in the parking lot. "I want to give you your present now, love." he smiled at me. "Okay." I brushed my hair behind my ear. He took out a blue box and gave it to me. "What is it?" I asked. "Open it and find out." he said. I opened the box, and there was a beautiful silver charm bracelet inside. "Oh, Jack... it's beautiful." I sighed. "Happy birthday Gracie." he chuckled. "Thank you." I leaned in and kissed him. "You're welcome. Are you ready to go eat?" Jack asked. "Of course." I nodded. We got out of the car, and he held my hand. "So, where do you want to eat? It's your day." he said. "I'm kind of in the mood for a taco... or a burrito." I said. "Okay, how about Panchero's?" he pointed at the food stand in the mall. "Yeah, let's go." I said. We stood behind the few people in front of that stand, and I let go of Jack's hand because mine was all sweaty. I had the bracelet on my left wrist, and it felt a little weird. I don't usually wear bracelets. After the people in front of us got served, we went up there. "How can I help you guys?" Kelci asked. "I would like two popcorn chicken burritos and a medium Dr. Pepper." I said. "I will have a soft shell taco with sour cream and olives and a medium Seven-Up." he looked at me. "Okay, that'll be... £47.97." she said. Jack took out his wallet and paid for it, then we stood off to the side and waited. "So, how's your birthday so far?" Jack asked. "It's been so good. I got a few gifts from Charlie: a necklace, a stuffed cat, and... the last picture he and I took with our parents before the accident." I sniffed. My mom and dad were killed in an accident instantly when they were hit by a semi-truck. "Oh... oh, Grace." he rubbed my back. "Yeah. I cried when he told me what it was." I sighed. "Aw, well it's been almost three years." Jack took me by the hand. "Yeah, but anyway... I got a hundred dollars and a card from my cousin Norman in Seattle too." I said. "Oh, that's nice." he smiled. Our food was brought to us, so I picked it up and we sat down at a table. We just ate and talked, and I fiddled with my bracelet. "Did you get anything else for your birthday?" he asked. "No, not really. But I'm probably having a party." I smiled. "You already know how this goes, don't you?" Jack asked. "Yep. Someone takes me out for a couple of hours so Charlie can get a party together, and then I get home and all my friends and family jump out and yell surprise. But the thing is... I never get tired of that, because it's never the same." I chuckled. "Well, that's great." he said.

X

After we finished eating, Jack and I decided to take a walk in the park. "Oh, it's such a beautiful day." I sighed. "Yeah, it is. It's a pretty great birthday so far, huh?" he asked. "One of the best." I kissed him on the cheek. "I'm glad you're enjoying it." he smiled. "I think it's because I got you." I looked up at him. "What are you talking about? I'm always there for you on your birthday, and every other day of the year." he said. "I know, but you're my boyfriend now. Everything's changed." I looked down at the ground. "Not everything. You can still talk to me like I'm your friend, and we can still do fun things." he smiled at me. "Yeah, that's true." I gently squeezed his hand. "Hey, do you want a water?" Jack asked. "Yes, please." I nodded. We went over to the food and drink stand, and he bought two bottles. "Thank you." I said, after he gave me water. "You're welcome." he said. We sat down on a park bench and drank our waters. "This water is amazing! This is really turning out to be a great birthday." I laughed. "That's what I like about you, Grace. You always take pleasure in the simplest things." he said. "You know what'd be very simple?" I asked. "What?" he looked at me. "You giving me a kiss... right now." I smiled. He put his hands on my waist, then pulled me closer and kissed me softly.