Chapter Eleven

~Charlie Carroll~

My sister Grace got home at about 11:30 p.m., and I was still awake. "How'd the dance go, Grace?" I asked. "It was good, but I'll tell you more tomorrow. I just want to... go to bed." she sighed. "Okay, goodnight." I looked back at her. "Night." she said. She walked up the stairs, and I looked back at the screen. I've been watching American Horror Story all day on Netflix, and I'm on season one episode seven. "Man... I really need to get a life." I shook my head. I laid down on the couch, and put my head up on the pillow against the armrest. I kept my eyes glued to the screen, until my phone chimed on the coffee table. I picked it up and looked at it, and my ex-girlfriend Maggie sent me a text. "Okay, nope. I think it's time to stop binge-watching AHS and go to bed." I told myself. I turned the TV off as well as my phone, then I went into my room. I closed the door and took my clothes off (except my boxers), and just left them on the floor. I crawled into bed and rested my head on the two pillows I had on there. I closed my eyes and the whole house fell silent. My breathing slowed and I was out like a light.

X

I walked out into the living room after taking a shower and getting dressed, and Grace was making breakfast. "Wow. I take it last night went very well for you." I put my hands on my hips. "Yeah, it was pretty good. Why?" she looked at me. "Because you're cooking. You never do that." I said. "Well..."

"Come on, tell me about it." I said. I sat down at the kitchen table. "We danced, we laughed, we had a great time... it was the most romantic and passionate night of my life. Jackson Harries really knows how to treat a woman." Grace sighed. "Except when he's drunk, apparently." I cleared my throat. "Will you please stop bringing that up?" she glared at me. "Sorry, go on." I said. "But we kissed during one of the slow dances, and it was so perfect. The way he touched me sent shivers down my spine, and it was just... electric." she sighed. "Oh, this is precious... my baby sister's in love." I teased her. "I wouldn't say that yet, but I really like him. He's kind and down to earth and caring. He's such a good listener too. It's like he's hanging on to every word you say." she said. "Yep, she's in love." I sang. She set breakfast down on the table, and it actually looks really good. I took one of the omelets she made and a couple pieces of bacon. "Okay, so I do kind of love Jack." her cheeks turned a light pink color. "Aw, I knew it!" I said. "But you can't tell him or anyone else, Charlie. You know how word gets out around here... it's like wildfire." she gave me a serious look. "Don't worry, sis. I'll keep it to myself." I said. "Thank you. That's all I ask." she smiled. "But I'm very happy for you." I smiled back. "Thank you. So am I. Um, do you think it's too soon for me to say that I am in love?" Grace looked at me. "No, not at all. You and Jack have been friends for a long time, and... sometimes you just know." I shrugged. "Yeah, that's true. I wish I could read his mind, just to see if he feels the same." she sighed. "You don't have to read his mind to know that. It's all in the way he looks at you." I said. "How does somebody look at you when they're in love?" she asked. "They look at you like.... you are the most important thing in the world to them. Like they'll do anything to make you happy." I said. "Well, Jack's looked at me like that a few times." she bit her lip. "He looks at you like that all the time." I said softly. "How do you know?" Grace asked. "I've seen it." I smiled. "Wow." she chuckled. "He loves you a lot, Grace. You may not know it yet, but he does." I reached out and touched her hand.