Chapter 2: A Fresh Start

Jasper's POV

Already two years of being here in this town, yet it's still hard for me to deal with these human teenagers, blood coursing through their veins and their hormones thickening the air in the school. I swear sometimes, I just can't take another day being in a school. It's maddening. And to make matters worse, we have new students joining the school. More emotions stirring in the air, great. Suddenly, the door opens and a wonderful scent fills the rooms. I turned and looked and I see a blessed vision. A beautiful girl, no more than 18 with blood red hair, beautiful green eyes like two emeralds sparkling in the sun. She was a small pixie-like being, like Alice. But, more.

The teacher called her Ms. Chambers. Her first name was a mystery. A mystery I must solve. I raised my hand as I am called. When she looks into my eyes, time seemed to have stopped. I felt like I was floating. If my heart was able to beat, it would be beating like a humming bird. She was my mate. I could tell. But she was human. I wasn't sure if I could handle the scent of her. So I quickly held in my breath as she got to her desk. I didn't miss the weird look she gave me. God, even her presence was driving me insane. I could feel the Major, the beast inside me, begging to come forth and claim her, but I can't. Not yet. I gripped on the desk tightly till the wood nearly split and the metal bent. I tried so hard to keep myself calm, but it was difficult. I saw from the corner of my eye that she dropped a pencil and the gentleman inside me instantly reaches down to get it for her but I accidentally brush my fingers against her. I gasp at the sparks I felt against my fingertips when we touched. Oh, no, I breathed her in! But, before I started to panic, I realized that her scent didn't burn my throat like others did. I was very confused. So, against my better judgement, I took another deep breath and managed to block out everyone else except her. She smelled like fresh rain in a forest, like the earth. I could almost smell the fresh grass and flowers as if they were against my nose right then. I smiled in wonder at her. I was shocked, yes, but so relieved. I handed her the pencil and she stuttered a small 'thanks'. She was so cute. She's mine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the bell rang, I tried to approach her again but Rosalie prevented me. "What are you doing?" She asks.

I could only stare at the mysterious girl. Rose frowned at me and looked to where I was looking and growled.

She looked back at me, anger coursing through her pores, "You're going get us into a lot of trouble! Alice, you need to tend to him." She growls.

Alice just smiles, knowing exactly why I'm looking at the human girl. "It's fine, Rose. He found his mate." She squeals happily.

"Mate?" Rosalie frowns.

"All right, bud! You found her at last." Emmett pats my back.

Now, I know why Alice wanted us to break up last week. We've been dating ever since we met in that diner in 1948. I knew she wasn't my mate but she brought me comfort. Her happy emotions made it a little bit better to deal with the others around me. I was sad that she wanted to call it quits, yes, but now that I know. I can only appreciate her.

"And I met mine!" Alice lets out a happy squeal.

"Oh, my god! That's wonderful! Who is he?" Rose hugs her, smiling big.

But, I could feel her doubt.

"We'll see them both soon at lunch. I'll point out to him. He's so cute, Rose! But, I don't know, there's something about him. He's so mysterious." She says.

"A guy, mysterious? To you, Alice?" Edward pops up.

"I know! It's weird. I can see his future but, not all of it. It's like, a puzzle missing pieces. It's the same with Jasper's mate. And...it's his eyes. They carry so much sadness. You can almost feel it. And you don't have to be an empath. No offense, Jazz." Alice says.