XXII. What The Hell Happened To Marco Gonzales' Memories?

Two weeks has passed before Marco Gonzales, age sixteen, woke up from his coma.

He wasn't the same as he was before he was hospitalised.

It was still Friday fourth period Advance Music Composition when I have heard of the news. Mr Canda, our teacher, was busy lecturing the class about the upcoming End-of-the-Year performance of the school's music department. I was chosen last spring, so it's no brainer that I would be chosen again this year.

Mr Canda kept on droning on about the performance, when a soft knock that suspiciously sounded like 'Ring around a Rosie'. Everyone's attention turned to the door, where Mrs Langdon, the short, aging office lady, was standing, holding a small, yellow slip. Kayla was behind her.

I raised an eyebrow at her. She just shook her head and shrugged. I dropped my eye to the table to my left. It was Marco's. He plays the guitar.

"Sorry for the interruption, Laurence," she said, "but can I excuse Mr Drake? It's an emergency."

Mr Canda frowned, and asked her about the emergency. He's that kind of teacher who needs a three hour explanation and a 500 paged thesis on about everything. He's nosy that way.

"Well, it isn't stated here to be of personal matters, so I guess I can disclose this." She lifted the paper in the air. "Your mother's here to fetch you. Mr Marco Gonzales has woken up from his coma."

There was a small noise from the back of the room. It was Toby. When I decided to side with Marco on their argument (because really, let's face it; Marco would rather chop his head off than cheat on Toby), Toby took it to himself to ignore me. Every class that we have together, he would sit away from me. He usually sat beside me.

I turned to him with a raised eyebrow. He just cleared his throat and stared away. In the whole two weeks that Marco was in the ICU, not once did Toby visit him. He was still into this delusion that Marco cheated on him with Finnegan. Apparently, my best friend found a conversation with the said dumb basketball player in Marco's phone. It said that Marco was going to leave Toby and he was just with him for the money. Bullshit.

I saw the messages alright. In the many times that Marco and I texted each other, I could say that he wasn't the one who texted it. Marco texts in proper English-complete spelling and such. The one on the phone couldn't even spell 'know' properly.

I rolled my eyes when I realised that Toby has nothing to say and picked up my things, walking towards the door.

"Tristan?"

I turned back to Toby, with a frown. If he was going to ask why he wasn't included, then he can save it. He should know why. I especially requested Dad not to call Toby about Marco. God knows he'd have another anger episode and then kill Marco. I can't have that.

Hell, I didn't even ask him or his family for money. Mum, Philip, and Dad agreed to pitch in to pay for the boy. Gramps and Gran offered to pay too.

"What?" I spat rather harshly.

Toby hesitated and then flinched at the venom in my words. Good. And then he arranged his facial features into anger and disgust.

"Tell that slut that he should have just died," he spat with much more venom and contempt. "I heard Satan saved a seat in his harem for him."

I gaped at him in shock. Everyone in the room gasped in shock too. How could he say that? Fuck him! If there was anyone here who knows Marco the best, it should be him. He should know better. My face contorted into anger, but instead of beating the shit out of him and more sense into him, I just turned around and flipped the finger at him. Much to everyone's amusement.