13

* * *
"I propose a trade!" William yelled proudly across the plaza, still holding the pistol to the back of my neck, "You give me Annie -and I'll give you my sister! A shifter for a shifter."

A symphony of unlocking guns and unsheathed blades sounded around us.

A voice echoed throughout the village clearly, "You would trade your own flesh and blood for another girl?!"

"It's a fair offer- is it not?! An eye for an eye. A rib for a rib-" His grip tightened on my torso, and pain shot through my body and a scream hitched in my throat as I felt my ribs crush.

"Stop!" A cold, familiar voice shouted from across the way, "We'll give you Annie! Just let (F/N) go first!"

I lifted my head up the best I could physically manage and saw the blurred figures of the Scouts in front of us, their green cloaks flowing behind them and blades drawn. Behind them stood the remainder of Military Police as they held their guns shakily.

Suddenly, William let go of me and I went plummeting to the ground.

The impact was excruciating. I screamed once again, my chest felt as though it were going to explode.

"Look William -" A man standing next to my brother whispered, "Maybe this wasn't the best idea."

A frustrated sigh cut through the air before Will said, "Ya Nile, you're totally right." Before a gun shot echoed through the air and the man who was called Nile dropped dead a few feet from where I lay.

I tried to at least sit up -but my arms were too weak and my hands were numb.

"That's not good enough!" William's voice cut through the air. The faint click of the safety trigger on his handgun sounded as he knelt beside my body and placed the cold metal against my bleeding temple.

He was so close. I looked up weakly at the gleam that came from Will's belt. His 3d maneuver gear.

I could almost reached the sword at his waist -but he would shoot me before I even made a move.

I tried to look back over at the soldiers. They were all still blurry. My good eye was watering and the other spoke for itself. If they could make William move forward a step or two -I could reach his 3DMG.

I blinked away the tears accumulating in my vision and made eye contact with a man. He had cold steel grey eyes that complimented his jet black undercut hair.

Our gazes lingered and a sense of familiarity washed over me. I flicked my eyes in an upward motion and then back at the man.

He looked slightly confused. I repeated the motion and subtly moved my fingers in a sort of 'walking' motion.

Understanding grew in his mind and he started walking forward without any sort of hesitation.

"Captain Levi-" Someone called from behind him, "what are you doing?"

He didn't look back or even care to say anything.

Above me, I could feel William's body tense up the slightest bit and his grip on the pistol tightened.

"What do you think you're doing, Ackerman?" He spat.

Levi kept walking, his eyes locked on Will's.

"Stop!" William shouted, pressing the gun harder on my throbbing head, "Take another step -and I shoot your precious titan-shifter!"

Feeling threatened, Will shuffled his feet forward.

Bingo.

A sudden rush of energy surged through my body. I pushed the pain and discomfort aside as I twisted my body to the side and shot my hands towards one of the blades of William's 3DMG. My hands clutched around the familiar object and unsheathed it with stealth and agility.