Ch. 22 - Healing Wounds

I laid in a darkened oblivion, my mind coming to a complete stand-still. I let out a sigh - such a Shadow thing to do, I thought Jenny would appreciate that thought.

There was a voice among the dark whirs that blinked with white streaks.

Shadow.

Shadow.

Shadow.

Wake up, Shadow.

Shadow.

Shadow.

Shadow.

WAKE UP!

I gasped at the sudden light that flooded my senses.

I was overwhelmed by the amount of pain it caused me and I felt my back lift from the floor in a painful paroxysm. I choked out a scream, like a dying animal that had suffered until its last breath.

There was someone leaning over me, and an intense, fiery, tainted rage reached my veins, causing my hand to shoot out and wrap around the neck of that person. We rolled over and I lifted a fist to bring to the face of the figure, but my vision returned clearly and I was yanked from James' trembling body. "Shadow?" Shade took my cheeks in his hands and kissed every inch of my face. My whole body felt exhausted and ached beyond belief - there was a tight bandage around my bare chest, and it constricted my breasts a little too much for my liking.

I turned to see James, my face pressed to my mate's chest. My blood pressure dropped as I felt woozy, but Shade felt this between our bodies and raised it with his Blood Claw abilities. I slowly, carefully sat beside my friend, who was whimpering softly in pain as Otto cuddled soothingly. "James... I'm so sorry..." I uttered, and he moved away from me with Otto in his arms, soon skittering out of the cave and into the treeline, cowering under a bush. I sighed, lowering my head between my legs in the recovery position.

Tobias and Snowy play-fought in the corner with tiny, sheathed paws. Shade settled beside me, hauling me onto his lap and checking I was alright. His eyes lowered to my bandaged breasts and stayed there; I snapped my fingers in front of his face, "Eyes, up here." I growled, but he just smirked  and laid little kisses all the way over my collarbones, and I had to admit it was very calming.

"Where are Salem and Estos?" I questioned, eyeing him up when his grip tightened on my legs. I suspected he didn't approve of me saying any other males' names. "They are both locked in the prison. Where they belong." He gritted out, burying his face into my neck with deep breaths. I kissed his head, curling my fingertips through his handsome hair, "Calm down, Shade. I'm alright." I assured him, rubbing his arms and smiling faintly when he gave my bandaged skin a long, gentle massage.

"I go back to school tomorrow." I groaned, hissing when one of his fingers pressed too hard. The bandage began to stain through with crimson blood; Shade swore and apologized rapidly. "Shit, I'm so sorry, Shadow." I shook my head, trying not to move so as to prevent more opening of the wound.

"Mummy are you bleeding?" Tobias and Snowy asked together, which made me jump and freak out slightly. "I'm fine, babies. Go visit Aunty Nova, or play with James and Otto." I told them with a strained smile. Shade tried to pick me up but I convulsed away from him, "No- no. Don't take me to Sara. I have to go back tomorrow." He growled at my stubbornness, and swooped me into his arms without a word. I writhed and moaned in agony, my wound opening further. "No- no, please." I rasped, collapsing in his arms like a pathetic kitten.

Snowy and Tobias were watching from Nova's cave, crying and wailing with flailing paws, but Hawthorne held them back and assured them that I would be alright.

Shade laid me in Sara's cave, and that was it - I was out like a split light.

Jenny's POV

"We're going back tomorrow." I mumbled to Lupin and he nodded absently, staring into the roaring fire. It had not stopped flaming, even when the storm had died outside. "Yes, I am assuming that Professor Slughorn is treating you all well?" He asked, taking his gaze from the flames and setting to my face. My cheeks flushed slightly as I nodded, "Yes, but I suppose his... Slug Club is just favoritism. Links and connections, I guess." I sighed, shaking my head.

An owl fluttered through the window and dropped a letter into my lap. Lupin raised an eyebrow but said nothing. The owl flapped away, out of The Burrow window, and disappeared in time - I slid my fingernail down the envelope opening, gaining a paper cut in the process. I hissed and stuck my finger in my mouth, unfolding the letter from Shade and reading it over - I had to read it multiple times, my eyes widening with every over-read.

Jenny,

Shadow has been attacked by Estos and Salem. She was stabbed through the chest with a blade and was unconscious for a little less than twelve hours. Salem and Estos have been imprisoned, and Shadow has been tended to.

Shadow woke up and attacked James. He's afraid of her now, and won't let Otto go near her. She is currently in Sara's cave, being healed again. Her wound opened up, all thanks to me. She desperately wants to return to school, but I don't want her to.

I will let her, on one condition - I want you to keep her in check. She's very difficult, we both know that. Nova is out of action, since she has given birth. Hawthorne is being difficult too - Olive reminds him of Lost, but the poor kit has a temperature disability. He's been exposed to the cold far too many time, but James seems to have taken a liking to him.

Shadow seems to think you're up to something with that boy of yours. She tells me you two haven't spoken for months, but she also tells me you still care about him.

Make a decision, Jenny.

There are always more than two options.

Sincerely,

Shade.

I paused completely, and Lupin slipped the paper from my fingers. A drop of blood splashed onto the page, so I put my finger back into my mouth. Lupin sighed, shaking his head, "The Clans of Claws are in turmoil. Voldemort doesn't care for them though, he'll destroy them if they don't join, and if they do, they'll live in restricted territory. It's a catch, but I suppose they can't decide. If Civil War breaks out then... well, it'll be catastrophic." He sounded irritatingly indifferent, as if Shadow and Nova's lives didn't matter, as if their families didn't matter!

I leapt to snatch the letter from him, but he flung it into the fire. The parchment crippled and curled, writhing in the fire with crackling screams. "Shadow must lead herself to her own destiny." Lupin murmured, though he was once more gazing into the flickering fire.