Ch. 1 - Snowy Claw

Greetings! This book is gonna be le feels de la feels.

"She's beautiful, Shadow." Shade murmured, both our eyes brimming with emotion. My little kitten squirmed and lets out a high-pitched mewl, before finding her way back to my belly to suckle for milk. "Of course she is, Shade." I whispered back, purring deeply, "She's ours. Our little Snowy." His chest rumbled gently with amusement and I give my daughter a loving lick on her head, lowering my wing over her for warmth.

During the summer holidays, I had given birth to a stunningly white kitten - a Frost Claw - so Shade and I had called her Snowy. She had a large set of beautiful mauve violet eyes, and a full body of snowflake white fur, with the exception of one charcoal black stripe across her muzzle, curling up to her eyes, fading into dots that looked like onyx gems. Of course, I only had two weeks left before going back to school, since Claw-feline gestation periods were only two months roughly, and I felt uneasy about leaving my baby with Shade.

There were other females around that could provide Snowy with milk, but I felt very protective over her, especially since we had lost a kit before. So far, Snowy was five days old.

Anyway, over the holidays, the Darkened League had disappeared one morning, and later that day, I had said my farewells to Pierce and Svana, who had gone back to their true home in Alaska, with the rest of their Clan. Also, my wings had slowly but surely grown back, and though I had not had time to use them, Nova helped with wing-exercises every morning and evening, so that my muscles would not deteriorate.

Shade gave my cheek a loving lick, "You need rest, babe. I'll take care of Snowy." He pressed our cheeks together, but I whined softly at him, "Just a little longer? She's still suckling." I mumbled, raising my wing to peer at my beauty. She was my love and my life, and I would spend everything I had to make sure she survived.

There was a loud bark suddenly and I hissed, instantly hiding Snowy under my wing again. My daughter squeaked and wailed, squirming around and pressing herself against me. Shade nudged me soothingly and padded out the cave calmly, the vines parting to reveal a large gathering of people. My eyes widened, and I called to Shade to keep the vines open. He tucked them behind the rock and I gasped, "Shadow!" Jenny called.

I purred even deeper as one of my best friends hugged me tightly around the neck, "Your wings! And, oh, look! She'll be as cheeky as James!" Jenny saw my little Snowy and looked to me for permission to touch her. I smiled and nodded once, and she picked her up like she was as light as a feather. Snowy wriggled around before blinking slowly, her radiant eyes glimmering in the warm sunlight that filtered through my cave. "Mah!" She squealed, batting at Jenny's long, brown hair and biting her fingers with tiny blunt teeth. It seemed lighter now that it was summer. Jenny giggled and cuddled Snowy, "She's so cute, Shadow!" She placed her on the grass and I stood shakily. Shade was at my side in an instant, checking I was alright.

I padded out slowly. I hadn't been out the cave for a very long time, and I was surprised Shade was letting me out now. I stood over Snowy to shelter her from the scorching sun, and she seemed content to lie there, kicking out her paws and mewling, gazing after the occasional butterfly. It was a new world for her, and there were so many things to do and see. I sat down, my paws slipping gently so that I was lying beside my daughter again.

Behind Jenny, stood James, as baby Grim, and the rest of his family, along with Professor Lupin. There was little Otto, and though his limp seemed to be worse, he was smiling widely; Millie, the oldest, crouched down and stroking James slowly; and Remus and Lupin the twins, sharing a grin. However, I noticed two things - Lupin had his arm wrapped around Tonks and Millie was holding hands with George Weasley, her cheeks red as if she were embarrassed at the show of affection.

I purred deeply. "This is how it should be." I sighed dreamily at Shade, and Jenny nodded, laying down and letting little Snowy strut all over her belly. "Careful of her claws, Jenny. She may be five days old but she's a feisty one." Shade warned with a chuckle. Jenny laughed, "Awh she likes me. You wouldn't scratch me, would you Snowy?" We all look at Snowy, who's gnawing on her arm. She mewled at us all, and waved her little tail, slipping off Jenny and bounding-stumbling over her paws to her father, emitting a tiny purr that has us all 'awh'-ing at her cuteness. Shade laughed and licked her, nudging her away gently to play with everybody else.

James shifted and grinned at me with boyish, lively eyes. "I mean, I was cuter when I was a baby Grim, but whatever. I guess she's cute." He shrugged and we all chuckled, "Thank you, James, and for your information, you are still baby Grim." He folded his arms and puffed out his chest, "How dare you!" He put a hand on his chest in mock offence. George livened up as he said, "Guess what's the difference between an onion and a baby?"

We all stared at him.

"Nobody cries when you chop up a baby."

I couldn't help but laugh, and soon we were all laughing hard and hugging each other because the distance we'd been away from one another during the holidays was too much. Our tears melded, and we played with Snowy for hours, until the sun was high in the sky and we shared stories of our holidays and even more jokes about kittens and babies.

James giggled boyishly, "Okay, okay, I have one. What's a pile of kittens called?" I laughed and shook my head, "I don't know." He grinned widely, "A meowtain." George gaped at him, "I'm stealing that one." He flashed a smile to Millie.

It was like no time had passed.