Chapter 14

Sanskar had been trying to knot a black tie around his neck. His face clearly depicting his displeasure. He had been dressed, in a black suit with a white shirt, getting ready for a party that he would have much rather avoided. 

It was a party thrown by one of the politicians that was part of his family's business nexus and the entire family had been ordered, by Durgaprasad, to be present for it. 

The reason for his displeasure have been two-fold. First that it was part of the world that he had no interest or intention in being part of and the other one – the bigger reason – this was preventing him from spending some time alone with Ragini.

While he had been apprehensive about admitting his new found feelings to her, two nights back, since yesterday, that was all that was on his mind. 

He wasn't sure how she would react to it and wanted some good bit of time alone with her to really put his thoughts and feelings forward, in a way that wouldn't distance her from him. 

But private time with her had been a luxury all of yesterday and today. 

If it wasn't the pooja, it was someone or the other trying to pull her in for some household work, Uttara and her nonsensical gossip, even Ashu has been particularly active on the phone and kept him away from Ragini. She had been so tired, at the end of it, that she had literally crashed and fallen asleep last night. 

Today was no different with Maa, Mom and Pari Bhabhi trying to pull her in different plans. If that wasn't enough, his Bade Papa had thrown this party at his face now! 

He couldn't even get her alone in their room for 5 minutes of peaceful talk!

Ragini walked out of the washroom, dressed in an elegant black saree with a light pink edge and full sleeves blouse that had some work on it in pink. 

 His eyes followed her as she entered the room and walked towards the dresser, while still focused on fixing her saree. She brushed her hair and was about to tie it up when he walked behind her and held her hand gently.

"Leave it open. You look beautiful with your hair letdown," he told her softly, looking at her in the mirror.

She gave him a shy smile before nodding. 

As he looked at her, a though struck him and he moved towards the wardrobe 

Ragini had just worn some diamond and pink tourmaline earnings when he walked over and stood beside her.

"This looks much better, doesn't it?" he asked her indicating his light pink tie before pointing to the two of them in the mirror. "We look good together, now." he told her with a twinkle in his eye. 

She nodded with a shy but warm smile.

She was about to pick up the box with sindoor in it, when he took it from her hand. 

"Let me," he said as he filled it in her forehead.

"Ragini, I..." he started to say. "I wanted to ..." 

But even before he could finish the sentence, Uttara barged in and dragged Ragini out to help her get ready. 

Ragini gave him a helpless look as she went with Uttara.

Sanskar shook his head. "I think the only way anyone is going to let me have some alone time with Ragini is if lock, bolt and seal this door with the two of us in room!" he said annoyed.

***

Ragini and Uttara had been standing by one of the tables, chatting with each other at the party, as the others had been dragged into different groups.