Innocently Beautiful

When I heard a knock, I know it's my parents. I don't know how bad it is but with what happen to me, I know it is serious. If Stephen can scare the hell out of my father, then I have to always take some precautions.

"Belle," I thought dad won't bring mom in here. She should not hear what I'm going to say. It will stress her out.

I look at dad to see a sign an approval. "Okay," I started. "Stephen and I talked." I saw how the calm face of my father suddenly became pale.

"And who is Stephen?" asked mom. Again I looked at dad but he just kept quiet and looks like he's waiting for me to continue.

"He said that he has a proposal to dad's company." I continued.

"If it is just a proposal, then why did he had to talk to you, Belle? You don't even have a position in the company?"-Mom

"Dad didn't approve his proposal-" Dad cut me off.

"I get it. He is making a point." -Dad

"I don't understand. What is the proposal all about that you did not approved?" Mom asked Dad. "Which lead him in making a point... and that point is kidnapping my daughter to talk to her for the sake of that stupid proposal!" Mom is not hysterical.

"Calm down, hon." Dad caressed the back of my mom.

"Hon, I can't." she said like she was about to cry. "Please, explain."

Long silence. That was the longest and most quiet time of my life with my parents. No one is talking nor moving.

When dad finally spoke, his voice was too cold. And I haven't heard him talk like this. Something is up to happen. I can feel it.

"He wants a merger." That's it. That's why dad don't like to approve it.

He's been very hard-working, dedicated his life. This is his passion. And no one can take it away from him. Yes, we are accepting investors but not that big to make sure that it will still be owned by our family.

"What is your plan, Hon?" -Mom

"We will think of a way. For now, tighten up the security for our safety."-Dad

"Uhm. Dad, can I still go to school and live a normal life? I can deal with the body guards just please, please, I still-"

"Yes, sure. I won't let the company affect your life." With that, he kissed my temple.

...

Right after school, I ask the driver to bring me to the hospital. It has been a habit that I hope soon will end because I want Arkin to wake up and come back to us.

"Hi, Ate Belle." Jake greeted me. "Can I play with you? You know, Kuya used to to teach me how to play chess."

And so we played chess for about an hour.

"Ate, can you teach me that strategy? Because I think you're better that Kuya. I haven't beaten you yet with the three rounds that we had." - Jake

"There is no particular strategy, Jake. Hmmm, okay, think of it this way, it's like life. There are pieces which we could compare to people," I held some pieces in my hands. "each one has strengths which are very important for you to win. So as much as we can, we have to think of a move which could make them alive." Jake just nodded and looked at me with amused eyes.

"So in every move, think carefully, which one and its capability. Like in life, there's no turning back, touch move." Am I explain it well or let the child more puzzled. Jake is just 7 years old!

"Awesome!" he exclaimed. "Can we have one more game? I think I can beat you now, Ate Belle."

True to himself, he really managed to win the game. As a consequence, I have to buy him an ice cream.

"Mom, we are going out, just going to eat some ice cream at the nearest convenience store."-Jake

"Okay, please take care." Tita Cristela looked at me and held my hand, "I know its kind a dangerous for you, so don't forget to bring your body guards.

When we were already at mini stop and eating our magnum ice cream, people are staring at us or sometime to the uniformed bodyguards that I brought with me. I have five armed guards. One is staying by the door, the two are looking for suspicious people outside and the other two are here in inside with us.

"You know what, Ate, it's super weird to have 5 goons around" Jake said while eating his ice cream. I get some tissue and damp the side of his lips. He's a messy eater.

"They are not goons, Jake." I laughed. "They are called body guards to make sure we are safe."

"But when I am with my mom and dad, we have no bodyguard, does that mean we have to also hire someone like them?" His voice is decreasing that before he finish speaking, it is like he's only whispering to himself.

"HAHAHAHA! Silly!" I laugh. Little did I know that something is going to happen.

A loud bang made me shout the name of the child with me. "JAKE!"

Thank God he's safe! He is just behind me, crying. "Ate, huhuhu!"

"John!" I called one of my bodyguard who is with me inside the store. "Dalhin mo 'yung bata. Itakas mo na siya."

"Pero ma'am, ang safety nyo po ang importante. Kabilin-" Wala na kong oras para diyan. Siguradong ako lang naman ang target ng mga to.

"Si Roger na ang bahala sa akin dito. Lagot ka sa akin kapag may nangyaring masama sa bata. Ibalik mo siya sa hospital. Okay?!" litanya ko sa pinakapinagkakatiwalaang bodyguard ni dad.

Everything happened so fast. Isa-isang natumba ang mga guard ko. Nananalangin akong sana walang madamay na inosente. Bakit na gustung-gusto makipag-merge ni Stephen sa kumpanya namin?

...