01

The night the pirates arrived, was unlike something which could eradicated from memory; seemingly burned in, unable to diminish or disappear. How could such a normal day and evening turn into such a chaotic one? It was a simple question which couldn't seemingly be answered by anyone. For one, Neverland never really had a normal day. And for two, the only people who could even fathom an answer would be the pirates themselves. But even then, they'd be confused as to why they were getting asked it. Did they even know just where they even were? No one just came here, not without an invite, if it could be called that.

This was the problem which was rattling around in Aoife's mind. She sat, like most times, on the shoreline of Neverland. The pale almost white coloured sand reflected the moonlight and the stars. Behind her in amongst the heavy forestry was the chorusing sounds of many cries and whimpers.

Anyone who said Neverland was bliss was – in Aoife's mind – an utter idiot. To get here, you had to give something up in return. Or heaven forbid the Shadow comes for you because it's taken a shining to you. Sure, yes, it was paradise wrapped up in lies and deceit. That didn't make it paradise at, it made it a paradox of the normal world.

Aoife watched from the white dunes as Felix and his shadows – being the other Lost Boys – trailed down the beach dragging small rowing boats with them. Flicking sand off of her legs, she had grown bored and decided to burying her legs in the sand, she stood now becoming curious by the sudden interest and movement of the other island inhabitants. The remaining flecks fell from her being and bounced back into place in the small mound she was sitting on.

Crossing her arms she watched. They weren't the only ones with a boat, everyone in Neverland owned a boat or water transport of some sort. Aoife tilted her head to the side and watched them board the ship. "No invite. That's rude." She muttered to herself. There was chaos in Neverland, her earlier train of thought reappeared as she narrowed her blue eyes towards the ship. It wasn't a visible thing, but more a feeling in the bottom of her stomach. It felt like the rush before running and jumping from a great height, which was another particular past time of Aoife's. "Nerves," her eyes lit up when she pinned the feeling down. It was something she hadn't felt for a very, very, long time. All feelings and emotions blur or get forgotten about here, it's what the island did to whomever stepped foot here.

Nervous tension. This is what was secretly boiling away in Neverland. The pirates bought with them a sort of unrest. Their kind never frequented Neverland's shores for very long. The last lot who did had a serious falling out with the Indians. One falling out which was exceedingly messy and brutal. Aoife hadn't bore witness, but she had and could still recall the sounds of fighting, the shooting, the yelling, the pained screams that howled up into the air. But also, much like with everyone else, she saw the aftereffects, enough to pale the strongest of any of them really. It wasn't a pleasant sight what happened to them.

As awkward as Neverland was, and it was awkward, from the cries at night to the Shadow prowling the skies, all the way to the Lost Boys and the secretive Indians. Neverland was awkward, and dangerous. But despite all of this, it had its own balance. One little thing could throw that balance out of kilter, and ironically enough the pirates had done just that. It was always the pirates. Their kind was naturally unrestful, chaotic, never bought peace but a charge energy that riled everyone up the wrong way. She doubted these lot differed a great deal. Of course, Felix and his companions would go to see what the pirates were up to, what were their business, would they be here long, and other such inquiries.

Picking up her dark cloak, she shook the sand from it and threw it around her shoulders. Slowly pulling her hair free she placed the ginger locks on her shoulder. She eyed her hair briefly making sure no sand was in the waist length curls. Pulling up her hood she turned and disappeared into the shadows of the large trees. By the time she'd gone from the shorelines and reappeared, Felix would have left the ship, he wasn't the only one who wanted to explore and be nosey.