40

Aoife stared up at the sky. Tilting her head to the side slowly, she raised an eyebrow at a slow moving cloud. Tilting her head to the other side, she let out a quiet thoughtful sigh. Tapping a finger to her chin, her eyes narrowed slowly. This sky was definitely different to the one she used to stare up at. Her eyes slowly travelled down. Looking around the street she frowned and leaned against the wall. Crossing her arms behind her back, she watched the people shuffle past.

Everyone was still in celebration mode, there had been talk of a party in some place Aoife didn't know of. Looking slowly down, her frown disappeared. Crouching down she held her hand out. "When did the world get so weird?" She asked the creature in front of her. The rat had put its paws on her outstretched fingers. It let out a squeak and quickly flicked a paw over its ear.

Scratching her neck awkwardly, Aoife looked over her shoulder. Her eyes watched everyone sceptically. Edward and the other Lost Boys had been escorted elsewhere. A part of her was dearly wishing how he was here, they would cross paths no doubt, but coping with this new world would be much nicer with him by her side. They could cope and settle in together. That was their goal and dream all along. But instead, Aoife was on her own, crouching near a rather confused rat.

Letting out a clicking noise, she scooped the rat up in her hand. Putting it on her shoulder she turned and frowned lightly. Nodding slowly, she patted her sides lamely, before shuffling down the street. She spent most of the time walking around looking up. The buildings were much different than the ones in her vague memories. Stopping and looking over a strange object, she stepped forwards. Leaning down, her eyes looked through the window. Reaching out she tapped the window, letting out a yelp when a loud noise blared from it, she put her hands over her ears and hurriedly ran off.

Her ears were still ringing several moments later. The rat had gripped painfully onto her hair and continued to let out odd squeaks. "What? What's wrong with you, huh?" Aoife asked while frowning to the animal on her shoulder. "You disliked that thing too? I know for sure I did! But they're everywhere..." Aoife's voice trailed off. Frowning and clicking her fingers, she gave a sure nod. "These must be those 'car' things...they're rather small..." Aoife eyed some nearby cars up. Giving a shrug, she turned and walked off. Her boots made quiet scuffing noises as she walked back down the street. Running up the stairs she jumped over the side and landed quietly on the deck. Walking forwards she knocked on the door.

"Enjoy exploring?"

"Not really."

"It's because you went alone. I did say that I would be more than happy to show you around. Would you listen? No, of course not." Hook paused to lean against the door frame. "What the bloody hell is that on your shoulder?" His eyes narrowed, the rodent squeaked and bogged him out with beady eyes and really, he didn't like it.

"I think it's called a rat."

Hook grinned, "A rat? Wow, really? You sure?" Aoife looked doubtful before slowly nodding. He was being sarcastic and she clearly hadn't picked up on that. "What are you doing with a rat? Don't you know they carry all manner of diseases?" His eyes narrowed again as he leaned forwards to look at the creature on her shoulder.

Aoife pouted. "I thought he was cute."

"You want cute-?"

"No, I don't think you're cute."

"Oh," Hook smiled. "Please do go on."

"I shan't."

"Spoil sport, get rid of it. I'm not having vermin on my ship." Hook walked past her and had full intention of walking into the town to join in with this supposed party.

Aoife guffawed and waved her arms in the air. "He's not vermin!"

"It's a he, since when?" He asked from over his shoulder as he jumped onto the first stair.

Aoife shuffled over and leaned her hands against the side of the ship. She smiled and looked down at him, due to being on the first stair, there was a height difference of about half a head between them. "...Do you know anatomy, Killian?" Aoife looked down and drew circles lazily on the wood with her finger. "I'm sure a man such as yourself, knows all about anatomy." She smiled and looked up at him. He blinked slowly and leaned against the side of the ship in front of her. "Well you see...this rat has something that I'm sure lady rats don't have. Coincidentally, it's the same thing I'm sure male humans have, which female humans don't. Catch my drift, Captain?"

"Your drift has been caught." Hook shifted uncomfortably from one foot to the other. "No, I don't care what gender it is. It's not staying on board."

"Well that's fine, because you know, I've been given a temporary room at Granny's." Aoife smiled and patted the rat on the head.

Hook's eyes glazed over and stared off into nothing. Shaking his head slowly he looked to her. "I thought you wished to stay on board?"

Aoife nodded slowly. "I do, but...I've not slept in a proper bed for about hundred plus years."

Smiling, he leaned back in front of her again. "Well, you do know that on board there is a proper bed?"

Aoife nodded slowly. "And I hope you're most comfortable in it."

"Alone?"

"Alone."

"You're a mean woman, Aoife."

"And you're...you," she smiled and childishly reached up to pat him on the head. Hook's eyes narrowed at her, which just caused her to smile more. "You still up for showing me around?"

"My Lady wishes for a tour?" He stepped back and gestured to the stairs. Aoife nodded and jumped to stand by his side. "Then a tour my Lady shall have."

Aoife linked her arm with his when he held it out to her. She let out a whimper, which caused an odd look to be cast down at her. "Seriously...can you be any more of the charismatic gentleman?"

"I can."

"Please don't."

"But you like me being gentlemanly. You said so yourself."

"Yes, I do, but not when you're using your gentlemanly ways against me. That's just cruel, Killian."

"No, I do believe it's a wise move." He smiled rather triumphantly while taking to walking down the stairs, Aoife just pouted over his words before a slow smile appeared on her face.

——

(Edited: 25/August/2020)