Chapter 3

I awoke to the sound of something cracking. I forgot about the book in my so it fell to the floor with a loud thump. I froze listening for any movement of my sister waking up but heard nothing. I looked toward where the cracking was coming from. I was startled to see that if was the rock. I got out of bed and picked up the book off the floor noticing that it was on a different page than where I was last night. It was on a page about fire dragons and what the eggs looked like. I froze where I was looking at the page with wide eyes. There was an image of a fire dragon egg and it looked exactly like the rock on my dresser. I read the description and it fit everything that I had discovered about the egg even the part about it being slightly warm. I came to a startling realization that this "rock" that I had was not a rock at all but a dragon. Slowly I looked at the egg on my dresser but there was no egg anymore just a small baby... dragon. A dragon that was the same color as my eyes. I walked towards it slowly watching it. The dragon mirrored me and came to the edge of the dresser. I ran my finger along its spine and it gave a throaty purr. I smiled at the reaction and put my hand on its back stroking it the way you do with a normal pet. It looked at me at my eyes and I felt a sudden urge to connect foreheads and I did. It was a strange feeling. It was like my forehead was burning like when you get a fever. A few minutes passed and then the dragon pulled away. "We are connected now dragon keeper." I stepped away scared. "Who was that? Show yourself." "It was I dragon keeper." I slowly looked at the dragon startled. "You can speak?""Of course all dragons do. Didn't you read the book?""The book?" I echoed. "It rolled it's. eyes at me. "Yes the book that you got yesterday.""How do you know about that?""Well one it's on your bed, and two all dragon keepers find one before the egg hatches.""Oh." I said stupidly. "What's your name?" It rolled its eyes again. "Well apparently you didn't get far in the book. The dragon keeper chooses the dragons name usually.""usually?""there's been a few occasions where the dragon has chosen their name but not often.""Oh." I said stupidly again. "Well in that case how about Scarlet that is if your a she.""Yes I am a female and I quite like the name. Now get some more sleep you'll need to go hunting again in the morning.""Okay goodnight Scarlet." I went back to my bed and quickly fell asleep.