Chapter Ten

That spoiled noble came into our home again and you did nothing?!

Mayim threw herself face first onto the bed. Her thoughts sending waves o ffrustration and exhaustion around the room. The swimming patrols were wearing her out more than she originally anticipated. All the alleged sludgely sightings had her swimming back and forth so much the sides of her tail screamed whenever she moved. Not one of these sightings was an actual sludgely, but a kelp plant, or a black haired mer, or even just a trick of light. Mayim still felt proud to a part of the Guard, but she didn't know how much longer she could take the grunt work while the high ups barely moved a tail fin to protect the city.

I didn't do nothing. Josey thought sullenly. I was handling it and then Delia walked in.

Cordelia doesn't walk. Mayim mumbled.

Ugh, you know what I mean. Josey threw herself on the bed next to Mayim.

Delia's making something for Mariella for some event. Josey thought, turning her head towards Mayim.

Mayim raised herself onto her elbows.

Of course the whole population being on mass alert wouldn't tamper on a noble's lavish social life. Mayim rolled her eyes. Did she mention what the more-important-than-the-public's-safety event was?

Josey bit the inside of her cheek trying to recall. Delia asked if her coming out was called off or something? Josey offered.

Mayim rolled on her back remembering one of the phrases Cordelia would say during one of her obsessive rants about the "amazing" nobles. Mayim never understood Cordelia's or anyone's fascination with nobles and royalty. Just a bunch of over entitled mers showing off their wealth and extravagance trying to one up each other while other families like her own struggled to make by.

It's when a noble is officially introduced to noble society. Mayim thought bitterly. Means they themselves can be invited to events and not have to be part of a group or something.

What? Like she could only go to parties if her parents were invited?

Something like that. Mayim thought darkly, lying back down face in the bed. If she needed air this would have been a problem. This means Cordelia will have to visit her. Often. I can't get out of duty to accompany her.

Um,but that's not all. Josey thought for a moment how to tell Mayim this next part. She could sugar coat it carefully saying something along the lines as... Josey didn't know how to sugar coat it. It's pretty hard to sugar coat something you don't really understand.

Delia also said, I mean, thought something along the lines as getting me fitted for my own. Josey thought slowly.

Mayim raised her head slowly, her thin eyes turned into slits. The temperature in the room felt colder, but Josey hoped that was a coincidence.

Your...own?

Yeah.I think she meant something for the party. Like you know something like a-

I know what she meant! Mayim exclaimed staring up at the ceiling, bursting in on Josey mid-ramble. Out of what blowhole did that come from? Why would you go to that party?

I don't know! Josey blurt out. She picked up her hair and threw it on her face too embarrassed to look at Mayim. One minute I'm trying to get Mariella to leave, the next she swims right out and Delia's thanking me for bringing her into the shop.

Oh I should have known this was Cordelia's doing! Mayim groaned throwing her face back onto the bed. Damn that mermaid and her charm! It's the only reason this store is still open, I know it. I've seen someone come in looking for the Post Office and leaving with three bags.