.- O N E -.

"Come on Ava! We'll miss the bus!" I yelled, as we ran towards the dimly lit, dingy Seattle bus stop."Ella, thank you for taking me to the li-berry today! You are my favorite!" Ava squeaked. I promised I would take her to the library after school.

Our bags were filled with storybooks for the other kids, and dusty textbooks for me. I have lived in an orphanage all my life, disguised with the happy name of a children's home. The library and studying were an escape from my reality, rather than a sunny fake persona on top of my own. The sigh of the bus brakes and the unfolding of the doors cued me to stop sorting through my brain, and help Ava on to the bus to go back home.

Ava doesn't need to fake happiness. She skips everywhere she goes, as a normal seven year old kid would. Although she is has no future foster or permanent family, she doesn't seem alone. She hops up the bus steps and I whisk her to the back. The bus is empty, except for a hooded guy and the driver. I hand Ava a book, and I watch the sun melt into the Seattle pavement behind the skyscrapers and the coffee shops.

I hear the angry cries of car horns as the bus follows the sedans and trucks, almost like we are chasing them. For once, I get one nice moment in this world even with the chaos ensuring around me. I usually just try to forget my life most of the time, but I felt at peace, even in the rush hour. I look around the bus, and I see the hooded man moving towards the window. I hear one click, and another. Then I'm rattled by a gunshot.