.- F I F T E E N -.

Shepherd •

"There was no sterile supplies in the OR last night, stalling a surgery for an hour," I say, as I walk in to the Chief's office.

"Autoclaves have been breaking down. I am handling it," he replies. That is so Richard Webber. Acting like everything is fine in his world. Behind the polo and slacks lies a man with sleep ridden eyes. Something is wrong.

"Are you sure? You stopped operating. The only person you are teaching is Meredith. It is okay to ask for help," I respond, trying to dig deeper. "There is no shame in asking for help."

"You can help." He moves his glasses up on his nose, and looks me in the eye.

"You let me do my job, and you do yours. Anything else?"

"No. I am done." I walk out, door closing behind me.

Ella •

I should keep it a secret that I know. It is only a foster request, not an engraved invitation to be apart of a family in which the first parent caught me in the emergency room blood pouring from my head and leg, glass and metal wedged in my skull. The second parent saved my life, not once, but twice, and understands my brain and my every thought I have more than I do. It was never meant to be like this. If I had not accepted the foster, and not taken Ava to the library, this wouldn't have happened.

I shove the paper into the bottom of my bag. I shake my head, and pull it out. I think of every foster I have been with. The parents never understand what I was going through. I am soon thrown to the curb because I don't immediately turn into a star soccer player, or a cheerleader who has every friend on the planet at a suburban high school. I stopped consenting to the fosters. I wanted to be alone, because I thought no one would take the time to understand me. But Meredith Grey and Derek Shepherd happened to, even if I was never going to see them again. Most of the time, you don't know who you are fostering, or you just forget.

Let me explain. The process of actually adopting a kid is way too hard now.

Those foster papers are a new way of getting ready to adopt. There is like a dating site for your family. Pick a few kids with a photo and a description, The ask for 1 week with each. It is new and apparently better for "my well being".

Except most fosters forget the name of the kid, because they choose so many. Cons - 1, Pros - 0.

It helps pick eventually the best fit, but makes me feel like parents are shopping. Cons - 2, Pros - 1.

Less of a risk returning to the "sunshiny magical children's home". But with me, murphy's law is a constant. I always with return to the orphanage. Cons - 1 billion, Pros - 2.

So, they probably forgot that they were going to even try to foster me. These requests take forever. So, there must be some reason why they care. Most doctors can just cut and wait, like Dr. Torres. They didn't have to protect me. There is a 98% chance that they didn't remember me from when they made the 30 second request like a month before the accident. I am now left to figure out why dark and twisty Meredith Grey and hot shot Derek Shepherd both give a crap about me.

Meredith Grey caught me in her arms as I passed out in the ER. The only outcome for me in her mind is healthy. She reminds me of last night. Will stop at nothing to save someone she thinks can hang on. Not emotional, but driven to understand and help me with the life I had.

Derek Shepherd. Has a shell of a overconfident surgeon, and on the inside he is a level-headed person who protects the things he loves. I have seen his wife and him walking down the hall, lovestruck. He would jump in front of a bullet for her. I don't think I am to that level obviously, but he is somehow very protective of me and my life. Not usual. Will not let me die. Will not let fear paralyze me. Will not let anything get in his way of saving my once dying body and spirit.