.- T W E N T Y - T H R E E -.

The first thing I want to ask is that if she is okay. Meredith is not okay. Stupid question.

She doesn't look pregnant. So it isn't bad. But at the same time she is losing her child, she offers her life to a shooter, a thing we have in common, and her love is on a table that loves to tip the scales of dead and alive.

"Hey, look in that room. You go in there and be with Derek. Go sit next to him. You need him through this. You need someone. We all need someone."

"I-i can't leave you. April left you and you know what happened," she says.

"You can gown me and I will sit next to Owen and April in there. I'll be 15 feet away. I promise I won't die. No one else is going to die. You have to know that."

The corners of my vision start to blacken, colors fading away into black. The world tips on its side. I need blood. The adrenaline rush is gone. I exhale, and shake my head trying to keep myself awake. The numbers on the monitor start to fall.

"Hang in there," she says, with a realigned focus. "They will be back any second. Stay awake. I need to feel your stomach okay?"

She parts the new scrub top and the bloody athletic shorts. I feel a cold hand push on my skin. Her expression changes. My vision blurs, and the dark calls me. What is happening?

Stay awake. Calm down. Don't freak out.

Stay awake.

Stay awake.

I grab the bloody and wet rag next to me, and I lay the cold blue cloth on my forehead. It jolts me a little. I breathe.

The cold black dark pursues me. All I see is a dark blur, and I lean my head against the wall I am propped up against, creating a dampened thud. All I have left is noise. The door creaks open. "I got 2 units of LR, 1 of packed cells, and 2 of O neg. She won't need that much but I don't know what the hell is going to happen next. The SWAT guy left. We saw --"

"Good. She probably has an upper GI hemorrhage. Her abdomen isn't rigid yet. She needs surgery soon. I might move her into OR--"

"Mer. We can't leave. The shooter came back on the floor."

I grab onto Meredith's arm, wide eyed.

"You will be fine. Stay calm, okay."

I exhale, and release my grip on her arm, and she grabs my hand. The dark pulls me away from reality. I look at Meredith.

"It's okay. Close your eyes. I got you."

All color and definition cease to exist as my eyelids shut. I could die. But nothing happens in the darkness of my mind. No shooters. No guns. Nothing.

. . .

The corners of my vision brighten and edges of objects become crisper after a random hand messes with the tube on my arm. I look over. The numbers on the monitor which were once low are now rising. I am leaned against a cold metal sink and a wall. A soft hand brushes my brunette hair into a light blue fabric scrub cap. I notice it is Meredith.

"W-what happened?"

"You were fading in and out for a sec, but you are fine now. The SWAT guy left to go clear the floor again so we can go in for surgery real quick next door. We have some time, but you are bleeding internally."

She ties a disposable surgical mask onto the back of my neck.

"Right now though, you need to be with Owen. He needs someone, anyone. You need someone. We all need someone like you said."