Act 3-Scene 3

SHYLOCK, SOLANIO, ANTONIO, and the jailer enter.

SHYLOCK

Jailer, watch out for this one. Don't try to convince me to feel sorry for him. This is the fool who lent out money without charging interest. Jailer, keep an eye on him.

ANTONIO

Listen to me, good Shylock.

SHYLOCK

I'm going to get my bond . Don't try to say anything against my taking my bond. I've sworn an oath that I will have my bond. You called me a dog before you had any reason to. But since I'm a dog, beware my fangs. The duke will give me justice.-I do wonder, jailer, how you can be so foolish as to let this prisoner out of his cell.

ANTONIO

Please, listen to me.

SHYLOCK

I want my bond. I won't listen to you. I want my bond, so stop talking. I won't be taken for a fool who sighs and gives in to Christian meddlers. Don't follow me. I'm not talking with you. I want my bond.

He exits.

SOLANIO

He's the most stubborn dog that ever lived among humans.

ANTONIO

Leave him alone. I won't follow him around with useless pleas anymore. He wants me dead. I know the real reason. I've often given money to people who were unable to pay back their loans to him. That's why he hates me.

SOLANIO

I'm sure the duke will never allow this contract to be enforced.

ANTONIO

The duke can't deny the law, because that would threaten the security of all foreign merchants in Venice, and that's how the city makes its money. If the government disregards the law, it will be discredited. So go. I've lost so much weight worrying about my losses have that I'll hardly have a pound of flesh to spare for my bloody creditor tomorrow.-Well, jailer, let's go.-I hope to God that Bassanio comes to see me pay his debt. After that, I don't care what happens.

They exit.