Act 5-Scene 1

LORENZO and JESSICA enter.

LORENZO

The moon's bright tonight. I think that on a night like this, when the wind blew the trees so gently that they didn't make a sound, Troilus climbed up onto the walls of Troy and sighed for Cressida in the Greek camp.

JESSICA

On a night like this, Thisbe saw the lion's shadow and ran away in fear.

LORENZO

On a night like this, Dido stood holding a willow branch on the seashore, begging her lover to come back to her in Carthage.

JESSICA

On a night like this, Medea gathered magic herbs to rejuvenate old Aeson.

LORENZO

On a night like this, Jessica ran away from the wealthy Jew and stole his money. She ran away from Venice all the way to Belmont with her spendthrift lover.

JESSICA

On a night like this, young Lorenzo swore he loved her very much, stealing her heart with vows of love, but not one vow was true.

LORENZO

On a night like this, pretty Jessica, in a bad mood, said outrageously wrong things about her lover, and he forgave her.

JESSICA

I'd get the better of you in this storytelling game, but somebody's coming. I hear his footsteps.

STEPHANO, a messenger, enters.

LORENZO

Who are you, coming so fast in this quiet night?

STEPHANO

A friend.

LORENZO

A friend? What friend? What's your name, please, friend?

STEPHANO

My name's Stephano, and I've come to tell you my mistress will arrive here at Belmont before sunrise. She's still at the monastery, kneeling and praying for a happy marriage.

LORENZO

Who's coming with her?

STEPHANO

No one except her maid and a holy hermit. Has my master returned yet?

LORENZO

No, he hasn't, and we haven't heard from him.-But let's go in, Jessica. We'll get ready to welcome the mistress of the house back home.

LAUNCELOT enters.

LAUNCELOT

Hey, hey! Hey! Yoo-hoo!

LORENZO

Who's shouting?

LAUNCELOT

Hey! Have you seen Master Lorenzo! Master Lorenzo, hey! Hey!

LORENZO

Stop hollering, man! I'm here.

LAUNCELOT

Hey! Where, where?

LORENZO

Here.

LAUNCELOT

Tell him a messenger has arrived from my master with good news. My master will be here in the morning.