Act 4-Scene 1

The DUKE , the magnificoes, ANTONIO,BASSANIO, GRATIANO, SALERIO, and attendants all enter.

DUKE

Is Antonio here?

ANTONIO

Yes, sir, I'm here.

DUKE

I feel sorry for you. You've come to face a ruthless enemy, an inhuman wretch incapable of pity, without any feelings of mercy.

ANTONIO

They tell me you've done everything you can to talk him out of what he's doing. But since he remains stubborn, and there's no legal way to protect me from his malice, I'll just have to take what he'll give me. I'm ready to suffer peacefully whatever he does to me in his cruelty and anger.

DUKE

One of you go call the Jew into court here.

SALERIO

He's standing ready outside the door. Here he comes, my lord.

SHYLOCK enters.

DUKE

Make room so he can stand in front of me. Shylock, everyone thinks-and I agree-that you're just pretending to be cruel. They think that at the last second you're going to show mercy and pity, which will be more surprising than the bizarre cruelty that you seem to be showing now. And even though you're here to collect the penalty-a pound of this poor merchant's flesh-they think you'll not only let it go, but out of humanity and love you'll forgive some portion of the principal he owes you too. In doing so you'll be taking pity on him for his many recent losses, which have been large enough to send even the greatest merchant out of business, and make even the most hard-hearted Turk or Tartar feel sorry for him. What do you say? We all expect a nice answer from you, Jew.

SHYLOCK

I've told you what I intend to do, and I've sworn by the holy Sabbath to seek the penalty that is due according to our contract. If you refuse to allow me to do so, your city's charter and its freedom are endangered. You're going to ask me why I'd rather have a pound of decaying flesh than three thousand ducats. I won't answer that. Let's just say it's because I feel like it. Is that enough of an answer? What if I had a rat in my house, and I felt like paying ten thousand ducats to have it exterminated? Do you have your answer yet?

Some men don't like roast pig, others go crazy if they see a cat, and others can't help urinating when they hear bagpipes. There's no sense trying to explain people's likes and dislikes. So, to answer your question. Just as there's no clear reason why one man doesn't want a roast pig, or why another man can't stand a harmless and useful cat, or another can't tolerate bagpipes, so I can't give a reason, and I won't give a reason (other than the simple hate and loathing I feel for Antonio) why I'm pursuing this unprofitable case against him. Does that answer your question?

BASSANIO

That's no answer, you heartless man. It doesn't excuse your cruel behavior.

SHYLOCK

I don't have to give you answers that you like.

BASSANIO

Does everyone kill what they don't love?

SHYLOCK

Does anyone hate something and not want to kill it?

BASSANIO

Disliking something isn't the same thing as hating it.

SHYLOCK

What, would you let a snake bite you twice?