The Reaping

((Big thanks to Cat_The_Panda for the help on the writing and story idea!! She's also writing her own pov for her character,Silver Willson. If you enjoyed this,you should check out her version!))

   Pixel rubbed her head. She had taken a decently long fall off her bed. It was for a good reason too. Why shouldn't she be scared? Today was the annual reaping,and her name was in far more than six times. Pixel stood up. She went over to the small mirror that was positioned on the wall. She grabbed her brush and began going through her short,yet messy,fire-red hair. Pixel laid her brush down. Her hair poofed up,as normal. That's what she got for having curly hair. Pixel quickly got ready. She looked into a separate room. The door was cracked open. Pixel quietly walked over to it and peeked inside. She smiled. As usual,Gig was laying in the bed with Dad. He was a little sweetheart,but he could never survive on his own. It was ironic,really. He was actually older than Pixel,but when Mom had died in a chemical explosion Pixel pretty much became head of the house. She provided the money,the food,everything for her family. She had grown up. Yet,that didn't ever stop her from having a little bit of fun. Pixel walked over to the bed. She gently kisses Gig on the forehead,then Dad. She then went out of the room,closing the door silently. She snuck out of the door,making sure it shut firmly. Pixel quickly made her way to the fence on the outside of town. On the other side lay a gigantic forest. Some of the branches even reached over the tall fence. Which was proof that it wasn't electric. But it still was barbed. Pixel bent down and went easily through a middle sized whole in the fence. It had been there for ages. Pixel walked over to a tree. The tree was hollow,but hardly anyone knew. Hardly anyone entered the forest anyway. She opened a compartment in the tree. Inside was a bow,a quiver,and a belt filled with medium sized daggers. Pixel threw the quiver over her shoulder and put the belt on. She grabbed the bow and headed toward her usual meeting spot. She walked through the bushes,bow loaded with an arrow. The meeting spot was perfect. There was a clearing in the trees,allowing a perfect view of the town,especially since it was up on a hill.
"Hello?" Pixel sang softly. Del came through the bushes on the opposite side. His arms were crossed and he wore a scowl on his face. He blew a strand of his snow-white hair out of his face.
"For the last time!" he said angrily. "My name is not Adele!" Pixel tried not to laugh.
"So you're not going to say hello from the other side?" Dell rolled his eyes. He chunked one of his throwing knives toward Pixel. Pixel knew he had purposely missed though. The knife hit a tree behind Pixel,about a foot to her left. "Nice shot," she said sarcastically.
"Nice shot," Dell replied,mimicking Pixel's tone. Pixel rolled her eyes. She walked over to the edge of the hill where there weren't any bushes or trees. Dell came and sat beside her. He pulled out a pouch.
"What's in the pouch?" Pixel asked.
"What do ya think,genius?" he said. He unzipped the pouch. Inside were two rolls,a small chunk of cheese,a small butter knife,and at least four pieces of sausage. Pixel stared at the meal.
"Woah," she said. Dell laughed. "What?" she asked,tearing her eyes away from the food.
"You're drooling," he said. Pixel immediately wiped the drool away.
"Shut up," she muttered. Dell laughed.
"Come on. Let's eat," he said. Pixel didn't have to be told twice. It took all of the twos' will power to stop themselves from devouring the meal. They each had a roll with cheese and an even amount of sausages. In no less than ten minutes they had finished the small meal.
"That was amazing," Pixel said. Dell smiled sadly. Pixel chuckled. "Hey, don't sweat it," she said. "We might just have the best favor," she said,trying to mimic the Capital's dialect. Dell chuckled,but no more. Pixel sighed. "How many times did you put you're name in?" she asked sadly. Dell stared into the open woods and to the District.
"Forty-six," he said. Pixel but her lip. Forty-six. That was so much. Fortune was nowhere near their favor. "You?" Dell asked. Pixel sighed.
"Thirty-five," she replied with a sigh. Dell looked over at Pixel.
"I don't think fortune is in our favor," he said. And Pixel couldn't agree more.
The two went on to hunt until noon. They then went to their house to get ready for the reaping. The reaping is where a person from the Capitol,their's was Bellina,came and chose a boy and girl from each District. There were separate people for each District. The person would draw the names out of these glass balls. And then those people were shipped off to the Games. It was terrible. But it was how they entertained the Capitol. And it had to be done.
Pixel put on her black pants and turquoise shirt. She tucked in the hem. Mom had made it for her before she died. Pixel had refused to were a dress, so Mom had made a fancy outfit for her instead that suited her. Pixel slipped into her boots. She never wore anything other than her boots. They made her safe. They were also a gift from Mom. Pixel wiped away a tear that had slipped down her cheek at the thought of Mom.
"You look beautiful," Dad said from the doorway. "Just like your mother, but with shorter hair,". Pixel turned around and smiled. She walked over and hugged Dad.
"Dad," she said. "If I get picked,".
"Sweetheart,don't say that," Dad interjected.
"Dad! Listen!" Pixel said firmly, holding onto Dad. "If I get chosen,you can't disappear. You have to stay,for Gig. He needs you. You can't go away like when Mom died,". A tear dropped into Pixel's hair.
"Okay," Dad said.
"Promise me!" Pixel nearly shouted. Dad gulped.
"I promise," he said. The two hugged for a minute longer before they broke apart. Pixel wiped Dad's tears while he wiped away her's. He brushed his hand through her hair. "I know you'll come home," he said. "You've got your mother in ya. She was a fighter,". He paused. "Your hair might give ya away. Especially the blue tips,". Pixel chuckled sadly.
"It defines who I am. Just like the blue defines my fiery hair,". Dad smiled.
"Come on. Let's get you and your brother to the town center,".
Pixel and Gig walked hand in hand down the street. Dad had to stay back while they were sorted. Pixel squeezed Gig's hand three times. I love you. Gig squeezed back four times. I love you more. Gig looked at Pixel. They were about to have to let go. Gig hugged Pixel.
"Don't die on me if you get chosen," he said. Pixel brushed her hand through the bottom of his hair.
"I won't,I promise,". Two officers came and broke Pixel and Gig apart.
Pixel zoned out as the mayor,Clarís, gave the usual speech. It was until Bellina stepped up to the mic and said that it was time to choose the tributes. Pixel looked for Gig in his section. Instead,she found Dell. The two locked eyes.
"Good luck," he mouthed.
"You too," she mouthed back.
"Now,ladies first!" Bellina said. Pixel tried not to laugh at the way her sky blue hair bounced. Pixel was almost positive it was a wig. But then again,a wig probably couldn't endure such bouncing. Bellina spin the glass ball filled with girl names. She reached her hand in. "Pixel Firefly!" she said. Pixel stood there,stunned,trying to remember how to breath. An officer came and gentle pulled her by the arm. He led Pixel up to the stage.
"Pixel! No!" Pixel heard Gig shout,but it seemed so distant. And besides,Gig couldn't do anything to stop this. Pixel gingerly stepped onto the first stair.
"Come on," Bellina said. Pixel grabbed the handrail and made it onto the stage. She tried to calm herself. When the other tributes watched the replay of the readings,she didn't want to be viewed as a weakling for shaking or,especially,crying. "Say," Bellina said.
"Oh no," Pixel thought. "Please no!"
"I'll bet my gems that the kid that yelled was your brother,". Pixel nodded.
"He's my twin," she said.
"Well,I bet you'll win for him. Now,to choose the boy!" Bellina walked over to the glass ball with all the boy names in it. She spun it and then reached inside. "Dell Comp!"
"No!" Pixel screamed in her head. "No! Dell please!!" Dell slowly made his way up the stairs. He knew just as well as Pixel that neither was coming home now. They weren't coming home without the other. They wouldn't. They couldn't. Bellina asked if there were any volunteers for either of us. No one answered. Pixel knew that Gig would, but he knew that Pixel wouldn't ever allow that.
"Well then," Bellina said. "Congratulations,to the tributes of District three!" And to the love of District three,no one clapped. It was silent. Dead silent. No one agreed. They thought it was wrong. This wasn't right to them. They knew the two. Everyone knew the two. Dell had been in a chemical accident and barley survived and Pixel helped anyone no matter what. They knew them. And they hated what was happening. Then something strange happened. A shift occurred. The crowd kissed their three middle fingers and raised them. The symbol,it was a goodbye to someone you love. It's usually only used at funerals. To see it at a reaping,it was so rare. Pixel really was in trouble of crying now. Dell took Pixel's hand. Pixel held on tight. "Well," Bellina said,trying to get past the moment. "Let's lead you two out so you can see your families,". Bellina led Pixel and Dell into a strange room. They refused to let go of each other,so they left them together. Before long,both of their families came in. They let go so they could talk to their separate families.
"Promise me you'll come home!" Gig cried as he held onto Pixel for dear life. "Please Pix! Come home to us!" Pixel combed her hand through his hair.
"I promise," she whispered. A tear dropped down onto Gig's head. Pixel knew she couldn't keep that promise though. There was one winner,and Pixel and Dell weren't coming home without each other. Therefore,they weren't coming home. Dad came in and hugged Gig and Pixel.
"I promise," he whispered into Pixel's ear. More tears flowed down Pixel's cheeks.
"Thank you," she whispered. The officers came in to soon. They took them away. Right before they did though,Gig gave Pixel and Dell necklaces. They matched. It was a simple chain,with a small,bronze gear.
   "I made them," Gig said quickly. "There so you don't forget where you came from,". The officers were getting angry. Gig hugged both of us. He was the last one left in the room with them. "I love you guys," he mumbled. "Come back to us will ya?"  The officers pulled him away from them.
   "We will!" Pixel and Dell said before the door shut. "We will," they both muttered. No one else came in. For a while it was just Pixel and Dell. Bellina burst in.
   "Come on you two!" she exclaimed. Another girl was standing behind her. Pixel and Dell both recognized her. Rilanna was her name. She was the previous District three winner. The only District three winner. She mentors the tributes from District three,Pixel and Dell this year. "We have to get you in the train to the Capitol!"  Bellina rushed out. Rilanna waited at the door for us. Dell held out his hand. Pixel took it. The two smiled sadly at each other. Them they walked out the door. Rilanma and Bellina led them to the train. Pixel and Dell waved as the train moved out of the District's train station.
   "Goodbye,District three," Pixel whispered.
   "Hey," Dell said,holding Pixel's hand tighter. "We'll figure our way out of this,we always do,". Pixel smiled weakly. She payed her head on his arm as she watched the world speed by outside.
   "I sure hope so," she said. "Because I don't know what home will do without us,".