Chapter Five

●●●

If you believe in yourself strong enough. Then who the hell is the world to disbelieve in you?

●●●

Iris

The next morning, I was up before dawn. I had to make sure Axel was gone before waking up Dad. Thankfully, when I trudged out of the door and into my own room, it was empty -and rather messy- but lifeless.

I had slept on a couch at one corner of my Dad's room and my back was hurting now. It seemed like somebody had bent it with force, and it was dying to be stretched out. It was not my initial plan to let Axel stay the night. But then I felt bad for kicking him out of my house after he had done so much for me last night. Had my Dad found about a strange guy sleeping in the room next to his, he would have flipped out. I had never brought a guy home, or anywhere else for that matter. So even if sometime in future, I do bring any guy home, he would be very surprised. By now, I guess he thinks that I'm asexual; and I would not blame him even if he does so.

All my life, I had never felt the need to be with a guy. No one had even shown any attraction towards me either. In high school, I used to wear glasses and so I was pegged to be this dorky geek who was shy, quiet and rich. Girls only became my friend for the expensive gifts I bought them. Guys only came up to me when they needed help in chemistry and maths.

No other reason.

So I came to the conclusion that I was not any guys' type. It was not much saddening. I had always seen girls wasting their time on relationships, so they would not score much on their finals as they would have done while being single.

When Mona took everything away, I had to work harder for Dad and I. It was not my own life anymore. I had a suitcase of a messed up past and a person I had to owe my life to. The fact that Dad chose to keep me and raise me and give me the love of both the parents, had me sentenced to be prisoned of lifetime of serving him. A prison I was more than happy to be caged in.

This is why I never had time to look around and see if I could be interested in any guy. I am pretty sure, no guy would want to be with me after knowing me completely. Every person in this world has a motive to use someone, one way or another. And I certainly could not offer anyone, myself, to use. If there was anything I had learned from life, this was it.

I realized, this was my life. Waking up every morning and taking my Dad to washroom, cooking breakfast for him and myself and then eating together before going to college or work. This morning was like no other either. Except for the fact that for the first in my life, I did not spend my friday night studying. And I certainly did not wake up with a pile of books spread out in my room. Instead, I walked in my room only to be welcomed by Axel's scent around me.

The hell? The guy only stays for a few hours in my room and leaves me with his presnce still lingering in the air. He was making sure he follows me around, by hook or by crook.

And I was not hating it at all.

Even though it was work today and I hated going to the restaurant, I felt like dressing up today. Something about the environment around me felt changed, even if everything was still in its place. I threw on my favourite pair of black skinny jeans and a white loose top. Heck, I even applied some mascara and red lipstick.

You're going to its kicthen, not dining there.

When I got to the restaurant, Ana was already there, handing out the invitations to her wedding. She looked like how I would look if I got straight As and a four out of four GPA in finals.