Chapter Twenty-Three

●●●

You can't see me cry, hear my dreams all die
From where you're standing on your own

●●●

Iris

Axel pressed the floor button once we entered the elevator. It was just the two of us inside. I thought back to when I agreed to do this. I wanted to curse at myself.

Like 'idiot, go back you're not ready!'

Heaven knows how and why my head seemed to nod when Axel asked, more like begged, me to give Mona the wedding card right now. Maybe because part of me knew it was now or never. She had to know because Thomas has already gone way too far. I'm glad Axel brought the card today or else I would have never been able to do it by myself.

We entered through the spiralling glass door inside a lavish lobby. Suited men and elite personnels were roaming around, chatting and some even bickering; heartily laughing and a few kissing. It was like a fish market. That is how this building has always been, regardless of the fact who it belonged to: my Dad or Mona.

I reached for Axel's hand unconsciously and I felt him take a surprise peek at me but I ignored him. The last thing I wanted was to let my pride overwin me when I needed him the most.

Some of the staff members looked at my way and greeted me. They knew me ever since I was a little kid. My Dad used to often bring me here. However, it all stopped when Mona took over. Even then Dad used to send me here often to meet Mona and she used to be genuinely happy to see me. Until after my eighteenth birthday when I realised enough is enough.

I never came to this office again. I turned a cold and blind eye towards Mona and gradually, not truly literally, she lost her mind.

When she lost me.

Carol, one of the receptionist, beamed at me. She was there the last time I visited here. Now in her petitie frame with black hair escaping her neat ponytail, she looked even more groggy and tired.

I just waved at her and continued walking with Axel. They all looked at him like he was some Greek god. Axel had a stern and hard look on his face too and I heard many people greeting him with 'Sir' too. Maybe it was because they all knew he was my fiancè and were respecting him likewise.

It was then I took notice of my attire. I blushed and suddenly had a weird sensation of throwing up. Besides my long, winter coat, nothing about me was decent enough to be walking in such a renowned hotel. I pulled my coat tighter around me so no one could take notice of my hideous night attire.

But it was too late. We were already inside the elevator.

Axel looked at me and chuckled. His eyes did an overall at me and I couldn't help laugh along too. It was easing my nerves.

"You made me run here straight outta bed in the morning." I grumbled, not heeding to the fact that my heartbeat sped up even more seeing him smile like that.

He raised his arms in surrender before growing serious. I could see him staring down at me but I was too busy glaring at the elevator door. Suddenly he was in front of me. His eyes bore into mine as I felt him buttoning my coat. He leaned down to reach the bottom ones, his face now at a level with mine.

I wanted to look away. I wanted to look anywhere else except at him. But it was so hard especially when his eyes were so hypnotising, so demanding. From the elevator light above us, the hair on his forehead were casting a subtle shadow on his cheeks. I wanted to run my hands through the former.