Chapter Sixteen

●●●

And when I lifted my eyes to your name,
suddenly your heart showed me my way.

●●●

Iris

No matter how much I would have initially planned to pull away from Axel, now I could not. When he captured my lips in his, it was like fire meeting fire. Or water meeting fire, extinguishing the thirst but igniting the hunger like ashes.

Axel's lips were chapped yet soft, fully moulding mine in his. One of his hand moved back to grip my hair tightly and lifted my face a bit higher. My mind was hazy and my senses alight. Nothing inside my body was functioning properly as I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him closer.

It was so long since I've been kissed that I forgot what a thrill it was to be kissed like this. Or maybe Axel was an expert in the kissing department. And all of a sudden I wanted to check how expert he was in other departments.

Oh my God. I was getting hormonal.

We both knew it might be the first and the last time we might willingly kiss, so none of us were in a hurry to break apart.

Unfortunately I was really not good in swimming, and holding my breath for long was not my expertise. I pulled apart from him, my breaths coming out ragged and rough. I laid my head on his forehead, not sure if my eyes were close or was it the lack of oxygen that everything seemed dark and blurry.

Axel wrapped one hand around my waist, as if he sensed that my knees would buckle off any second. He pulled my chin up and pecked me again, sweetly.

And again.

And a few times more.

My weakness was that, as much as it was rational for him to stop, I could  not bring myself to make him do so.
Even when I pulled apart, it did not seem like Axel wanted to too.

Heck, I wanted to smash his gorgeous lips on mine back again.

Then it hit me like a truck. Ofcourse he was such a professional in wooing girls with kisses. He had been practicing it most of his life - well not most of his life but we all get the point.

Just the idea of how many lips his has touched just for fun, made me pull away from him. By now, my breathing was considerably normal as I unwrapped my arms and put a reasonable distance between us.

"Well um..." Axel chuckled nervously as I stared at him, dumbstruck. Was he at loss for words? "At least now we both know never to kiss again."

I nodded, feeling embarssed and slightly ashamed. He must have hated it for sure. Did I forget how to kiss? Can one forget how to kiss? Seeing as how Axel was avoiding my eyes and was staring down at the lake instead, I realized it must be true.

*****

It was not easy unfolding the mystery to Vanessa and Logan when they confronted me about the wedding scene. Apparently, them and a whole lot bunch of other people had seen our stolen glances and Axel's thieved kisses the other night. As much as Vanessa was happy for me, according to her some of the girls wanted to rip my hair off.

"So are you guys...what are you guys anyways?"

I could not keep a straight face while looking at the ring on my finger, so I looked away from Logan. Even though it was flashing under the sunlight seeping through the window, niether of the married couple had noticed it. Vanessa was off in the kitchen making her pathetic, tasteless hot chocolate for me. Even I was getting out of excuses to ask her that I don't drink my favourite beverage anymore.