Chapter Twelve

●●●

What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.

●●●

Iris

Axel and I were out of the park after another half an hour. We dumped the blanket and the rest of our belongings in my car and were now grazing the streets, mindlessly. Axel's mood had taken a complete U-turn after his little depressing chronical.

I was not sure what I had liked better; the sane side of Axel when he was talking about his past or the energetic, careless side of him that he always showcases. Because now, he was really being the most stupidest guy on the street. But for same reason, I preferred him this way.

Axel would often tug my arm inside a 24 hour open restaurant and attempt to speak "german" just to confuse the waiters. And then walk out in a frustrated manner, complaining that no one gets him. He did not know german himself, but he was just in a mood to fool around. Other times, he would forcefully drag me in cafes, order something and then after consuming the food, ask the staff if we can use their bathrooms; because we both were suffering from a "loose stomach" from their food. And then get a withdrawal of payment.

For no reason at all.

In normal course of days, I would have slapped his arm and refuse to follow his series of follies. However, tonight was different. He had just gotten out of a rough day and I was in the mood to blow the lid off my resolved mien and let loose for this evening. Just for the sake of Axel.

Oh Axel, the things I've started doing ever since you came in my life.

At the moment, we were walking down a quiet street while humming to 'colors' by Halsey. He had an awful voice to be honest and he could not get the notes right in some places, but I was not even going to tell him that. Not this evening.

"Hey, Cinnamon?" I broke in the middle of my singing and looked towards him. "You have a great voice."

I snorted, "it's just humming."

"Still. I'd love to hear more from you."

He looked down at me and grinned when he saw me blushing from his compliment. I have never put it into perspective that I had a good voice. But I could hit the right notes and sing on key.

"I don't sing out loud, or in front of anyone else." I informed him, kicking a rock on the ground.

When we reached until where the rock initially landed on, Axel kicked it further away; fist bumping in victory. "Well I'm not just 'anyone', right Iris?"

The way he asked that made me feel like he wants me to agree with him. I just smiled in response, as we started playing a 'kick the rock further' game. Axel got more into it when he began knocking the rocks off from my path and kicking them himself. He jogged further ahead of me and kept clearing the way, just like a child playing soccer in the rain.

"My Mom has a great voice." I flinched when I realized what had I said.

Unfortunately, Axel had caught it and he seemed more attentive now. Stopped playing the rock game and gazed at me intently. "Your Mom? Where is she now?"

I pursed my lips and did not say anything for a long while. Axel sensed my discomfort and grasped onto my hand, squeezing it gently for reassurance. "It's okay if you don't want to talk about it."

I stopped in my tracks and looked at him. He frowned at me. But nonetheless began to rub his thumbs on the back of my hand. I averted my eyes away, not wanting to show the weakness in them. When he held tighter onto my hand, a few tears pooled in my eyes.