Chapter Nineteen

●●●

Now we're staring at the ceiling
You're so pretty when you're mad
All that I can hear is breathing.

●●●

Iris

If there is one thing people should know about Iris Turner is that splashing water on me for waking me up, is out of limits. And possibly, who on Earth can do the stuff one hates? Parents, ofcourse. Or in this case, my Dad.

My absent conscious did not make me realize how much Axel and I had slept in. But when Dad splattered ice cold water on our faces ...I guess one could say it was pretty late. 

I was not a morning talker, so naturally all I did was moan and groan aloud. When I looked besides me to find Axel sleeping soundly- on the floor rather than on the chairs we were sitting on- it infuriated me. How dare he not get water on his face?

"Iris, I know what you're thinking but don't. You know he is a guest."

Guest, my foot.

In my fury, I grabbed the bowl of water from Dad's hands and emptied it on Axel's head. Axel rose up in alarm, screaming out profanities that would seem normal in any case but right now, Dad was standing right behind me. It was cringe worthy, to say the least.

He rubbed his sleep-deprived eyes and pushed his hair out of his forehead. They were sticking up in all directions, the stubble on his face from last night grown denser, almost close to a beard.

When he looked up to glare at me, his eyes travelled to Dad and he composed himself immediately.

"Ah, shit. Oops, sorry I mean... Mr. Turner."

In reply, Dad just chuckled at him. "No problem, son. It's almost noon, you guys better wake up. Merry Christmas, kids."

"Mery Christmas." We both mumbled in annoyance.

"I call dibs on the washroom." I announced, getting up from the chair only to be pushed back on it again. Axel messed up my hair, making me growl in irritation. Is this his way to pay back?

"You're such an evil, little woodpecker." He grumbled, walking inside while huffing and puffing to himself.

In a nutshell, the most awaited Christmas morning did not really go as well-planned as it was supposed to.

All thanks to Dad.

●●●

There was no question in devouring on the food set for breakfast, anymore. It was almost time for lunch. Somehow, Dad had mircrowaved the pizza contents of last night for his own first meal of the day. He kept assuring me it was no big deal but I knew better I had messed up his diet plan.

To make matters worse, Axel constantly kept whispering how I had been so irresponsible about it.

"You should've set the alarm, ya know." He lazily rolled spaghetti on his fork, throwing me a shady look. "I can't imagine what trouble he had to go through-"

"Shut the hell up, Axel," I grumbled, aggressively opening the can of orange juice and gulping from it. I almost laughed at the irony of the situation. Whereas my bladder was drowning in orange juice, I was drowning in my guilty conscience. "When are you getting ot of my house?"

He wiped his mouth with a clean napkin before turning to me. His brown eyes bore into mine, reflecting pure excitement and the usual glint he always had in them. "Actually I have an amazing plan for today. Wanna come?"