Secret

Again, the art is mine. Please do not repost without proper credit.
___

    You slumped, your elbows pressed against the kitchen sink as they held you up. You stared down into the dark hole at the bottom, eyes wide and filled with tears, though you weren't quite sure why they were there.

    You'd killed someone. At that moment, you weren't aware of the enormity of the impact your actions had. You felt guilty, and your numb mind made the murder seem like something that could be fixed with an apology. It did not strike you as anything significant as you got over your crying fit and headed to bed like nothing happened.

    When you woke up that afternoon, however, your mind had come out of that numb state  and you cried, forcing yourself to stay silent as you did so. Thankfully, the closed door muffled any noise you made.

    You had done something like that, yet you barely remembered it. All you could recall was that the man had been bothering you. Now that you thought about it, he acted as if he was drunk out of his mind, with the way his speech slurred beyond the point of being understood and the way he could barely walk, and that made you feel more guilty. You had killed someone for doing something that their mind couldn't think was wrong. One moment, he was alive, crying on your shoulder, barely able to walk, and the next he was on the ground, dead, two stab wounds in the legs and arms and another one in the back of his throat, where a pool of blood was beginning to form. You had been the only other person out there besides him. Goddesses, what if someone saw!?

    Fear made you feel dizzy when you sat up. Your things were on the floor next to the bed, clean and ready to use. So no one suspected you. No one saw. You were okay. You let out a shaky breath and stood up, slinging the strap and sword over your shoulder then slipping into your boots.

    You stepped out of your room and, unwillingly, glanced at Vaati.

    Except he wasn't there.

    Maybe he's back to normal? you thought, hope sparkling within you. Holding back excitement, you turned and stepped into the living room.

    Vila sat in the love seat alone, the fire in the fireplace spreading a gentle warmth throughout the room. Instead of that paper she had been staring at for the past couple of days, she now had a novel and seemed to be near finishing it. She must have gotten bored of the paper. But where were the others? It was only you and her.

    At the sound of your footsteps, Vila looked up. "Oh, you're awake." Her lips curled into a sweet smile as she placed her bookmark between the pages and set her book down.

    "Where's the others? Vaati? Is he back to normal?"

    "Marthie went to the market for groceries, though I worry about that sky. As for Agnan and Vaati..." She stood up, adjusting her shirt as she looked up at you. "You don't have to worry about keeping your secret anymore. You remember that paper you tried to burn? I picked it out of the fire a few minutes after you put it in." Carefully, she pulled the damaged piece of paper out of her pocket. Your mouth fell open, and you tried to speak, but your voice wouldn't work. "I figured out who he is. Agnan's going to deal with him."

    "You know who he is..." you whispered, taking a step back and clenching your fists.

    "He won't be able to hurt you. We promise. Not while he's a statue, and especially not after we deal with him." Her smile was still sweet, but it sent chills down your spine.

    "Where are they?" you asked in a firm voice. You grabbed her by the collar of her white shirt, glowering at her. She stared at you, wide-eyed.