Neighbors

Clary looks at the window of her passenger seat at the small town of Madison, Delaware. Moving to a new house and school was every teenager's nightmare. She did want this, but she and her mother, Jocelyn had no choice.

"Wow. " The redhead mumbles and turns to her mother. "Mom, are you positive there weren't any other places looking for vice principals?"

"Like where?" Her mother asked.

She shrugs her shoulders. "Guantanamo Bay?"

"Ooh, too hot." Jocelyn answers.

"North Korea?" Now I just sound dumb, Clary thought.

Her mother purses her lips. "No. They didn't call me back."

"Detroit?" She continues to keep guessing. Clary never wanted to move in the first place. In New York, she had school, friends, and everything. Madison, Delaware had nothing.

Jocelyn tries to cheer her daughter up. "Clary, this place isn't so bad. You're gonna love the house. It's beautiful."

Right when they pull into town, both of them gazed at the town square they drove though. Clary and Jocelyn grew up in the big city so they weren't really used to small towns. "As long as Magnus doesn't turn it into his glittery palace of doom." Clary smirks.

"Hey, Magnus is happy that we're here." She assures her of her old friend. "You know you miss him."

Magnus Bane was Jocelyn's dear friend and Clary's godfather. She remembers when he would tell her stories about ancient times and throw glitter at her every time. "Yeah, I do." The redhead admits. "Especially the Christmas presents he sends us. But I hate how he says that I looked like Rosemary's Baby when I was born."

Her mother took a left and giggles, "He's only joking with you."

"Mom, I'm gonna the freak from the concrete jungle who's mother is the vice principal." she complains. "Getting a ruby necklace from Magnus would maybe make my day."

"Yeah, I just hope they got McDonald's here." Jocelyn added.

At last, Jocelyn pulls into the neighborhood. They parked in the driveway of their new house. It was a regular-size house with small lawn. The house was painted white with a red roof.

Both of them get out of the car. They walked into their new house. "This is it." Jocelyn shrieks. "Come on, come on. Look. A yard. You'd never get this in New York."

Clary rolls her eyes. "You don't have to keep selling me on this place." She assures her mother. "I'm staying because I love you."

"Aw, I love you too." She gives her a hug. "Wow, look at that house." The girls turned to the two-story next to theirs. It was large and with a small lawn. The house was painted dark and looked depressing as the other houses in the neighborhood were bright and beautiful.

"Mom, it looked like nobody lives there." Clary points out. She then realized that she was wrong as she noticed a black Silverado and a dark red Camaro parked in front of the old house.

Jocelyn and Clary walked into the empty house. Both had them different reactions to it. "Look at this kitchen." Jocelyn shrieks. "It's bigger than our apartment."

"We don't cook." She reminds her mother.

'Well, look at all this counter space to put the takeout on." Jocelyn stands silently for a moment. "Do you hear that?"

Clary nodded. "No, I don't hear anything."

"Exactly." She smiles.

Moments later, a loud voice startles them. "Live from New York, it's my best friend, Jocelyn! With special guest, my god-daughter, Clary!" It was none other than Magnus Bane, Clary's godfather and Jocelyn's friend. "Get in here with a hug!"