New Beginnings

On the next day, it was officially Clary's first day of school. She wasn't so thrilled about going to a new school and meeting new people. On the other hand, Jocelyn was actually excited.

As they pull up to the parking lot, Jocelyn jokes with her daughter, "Yay. New friends, new friends, new friends."

Before her mom could get out, Clary quickly locks the doors. "Whoa, whoa, whoa. What do you think you're doing?"

"I'm going to work. Gonna do some educating. Some administrating."

Sometimes Clary gets embarrassed when her mother tries to act cool. "Mom, I'm the new kid, which presents its own set of obstacles. Not sure walking in with the vice principal is the play. Just give me a 60-second head start so I at least have a chance.

Jocelyn purses her lips and nods her head. "Deal. You promise you'll give it a shot?"

She thinks it over. Clary already knew that today was only going to miserable if she made it miserable. She didn't want to let her mom down. "You know I can't promise you that. I promise. All right? And this door-locking thing... Come on, you're better than that."

"Sixty seconds start now, 60, 59, 58, 57, 56, 55, 54..."

And so Clary Fray gets out of the car and quickly walks into school. It was actually simple to find her classes since her mom and her came to school during the weekend to register her.

Clary Fray stops at a glass case across from the office to find special items from their alumni. She saw a painting, baseball mitt, and other unimportant things. The one thing that caught her attention was a classic typewriter.

She read the small sign in front of the type writer.

A.G. Lightwood's Typewriter

"No way," she says to herself. "A.G. Lightwood?"

The redhead knew who he was. He was none other than the famous author of the Goosebumps series. Although Clary didn't know much about him, she used to read the books as a child. She was fascinated by the monsters A.G. Lightwood wrote about. She even drew pictures of the monsters.

Then, she heads to the gymnasium where an assembly was being held.

Walking in front of the first row made Clary feel like she came to school naked. All their eyes were glued on her, and Clary tried her best not to pay attention. Then, she walked up to the second row and sat down.

"All right, let's find our seats, ladies and gentlemen." The principal says through the microphone. "Find our seats quickly. Let's find our seats. Mm-hm. Okay. Let's settle down."

"Um... Okay. Uh, sorry. Excuse me." One boy came through the top row and pushes people out of the way. He finally sat down next to Clary, startling her. The boy was tall and skinny. He had regular brown hair and glasses. "Let me just... Okay, cool. Okay. So you're the new kid?"

Clary nods her head. "Oh, yeah. My name is Clarissa, but I go by Clary."

"I'm Simon Lewis, but I go by Simon." Clary stares at him with a weird look on their face as Simon waits for her to laugh. "That was supposed to be a joke and it is not really funny. I get it. Cool, cool. Oh. Hi, Taylor."

A blond girl at the bottom turns back to Simon and waves to him. "Hi, Sheldon."

Once the girl sat down, Simon murmurs, "Uh . . . not my name, but it was close."

"But calling you Sheldon was a little victory for you, right." Clary chuckles.

"Oh, definitely. But she's never talked to me before, so we're making progress." The boy tries to act cool, which made Clary laugh a little.