The People Next Door

Something about her neighbors wasn't quite right. It was made Clary curious about them, especially Alec. She wondered what exactly was wrong with him and why he wouldn't let Jace see her. Clary couldn't tell if it was her or him.

She hadn't heard from Jace in two days after the incident with him and his brother. Things took a turn on Wednesday night.

After she got done with her homework early, Clary and Jocelyn went out to eat. Her mom pulls up to their driveway and parks. "That place was good, right?" She asks her daughter.

"Yeah, the Chinese food here isn't like the one in Brooklyn, but it was pretty good." Clary admits to her mom as she unbuckles her seatbelt.

They both got out of the car and walked to the porch until they heard the loud argument coming from their neighbors next door.

"Alec, it's not a big deal!" Clary recognized that voice as Jace. As she and her mother listened, they spotted their shadows through their windows.

"Not a big deal?" Alec barked at his brother. "Jace, you know you're not supposed to leave the house, especially at night. I was worried sick about you! Something could've happened to you!"

Izzy interrupts their conversation. "Alec, calm down. He's alright."

"Don't baby him, Izzy!" He yells at his siblings. "Jace, you are never allowed to see that girl ever again!"

Clary knew that they were talking about her. She turns to her mother and says. "Mom?"

"That's not fair! You can't just lock me up forever! Why can't I just have friends?!"

"You know why!" Alec snaps at him.

"Clary, get in the house." Jocelyn commands her daughter, pushing her towards their front door.

Suddenly, they heard Izzy cry out, "Guys, stop it!" A loud noise startles them and Izzy screams.

Jocelyn pulls Clary into their house and slams the door shut behind her. "Mom, what do we do?" She asked.

Instead of answering her, Jocelyn Fray pulls out her phone and dials 911. "Hello? My neighbors are having some kind of argument in their house. We were coming home from a restaurant and we heard them arguing. I heard screaming and something broke. Like glass. Could you come over to check on them? There's three of them . . . "

As her mother calls the police, Clary looks at her window and saw the silhouette of Alec picking something up. She was afraid of him, and for Jace and Izzy. What she heard sounded like Alec had hit one of them.

Five minutes later, the police arrived at Alec's house. Both Jocelyn and Clary were sitting on their porch as two police officers speak to the eldest of the household.

"Mom, I'm worried about Jace," she tells her.

"Don't worry." She assures her. "It may have been a little fight they were having. Some siblings are like that."

Clary looks at her and mentions, "Mom, his brother hates me. We were hanging out on Monday and Alec gave me the stink eye."

Soon the police took off in their cars and Alec walks to their lawn. "So you're the ones who called the police on me?" He smirks. "I'm Alec, by the way. Nice to meet you."

"I'm Jocelyn Fray and you know my daughter, Clary." She tells him. "I am sorry about this. I didn't mean to get in your business or anything."

Alec nods his head. "It's fine. I'm not pressing charges or anything. This was just a mistake. It's alright."

Something didn't add up at all. "Where's Jace?" Clary blurts out. "And Izzy? Why did she scream?"

"Clary!" Jocelyn stops her daughter. "That is their business. Not ours."