Sixteen

Tori

"I think I speak for all of us when I ask, what the hell were those?" Gage exclaims. We're five minutes down the road and he's the first to talk.

    "Stiur Wraiths." Henri answers, keeping his eyes on the road. Gage just blinks. "Not as a strong as Marshalls. Not to mention smaller and less threatening."

    "Oh fantastic." Gage says evidently not relieved by that definition.

    "So what, they're like a lower rank than Marshalls?" I ask glancing again at still unconscious Kyle and then to Hayden, who actually looks worse.

    "Exactly, actually. Stiur essentially means rudderless, which means lacking a clear sense of aims or principles. They have no original thought, they just do what they're commanded."

    "So they're robots?" Gage says with a look of disgust and horror on his face.

    "No, they're wraiths. Real flesh and blood. But yeah, I guess you could say they're programmed." Henri looks over his shoulder at the backseat. "How is he?" Implying to Kyle.

    "I think he's fine. Just hit his head." I answer.

    "Of course the paramedic would be the one to pass out." Gage says, half to himself.

    "Hayden, you good?" Henri looks in the mirror at him. I look over and see he continues to stare out the window. "Hayden." Henri says louder. Hayden jumps.

    "Huh?" He looks dazed.

    "Are you ok?" Hayden nods.

    "Yeah I'm fine. I'm fine." I don't believe that for a second, but I decide now is not the time to question him on his mental state.

It was many hours later when we finally passed the sign saying "Welcome to Lebanon, Kansas. The geographical center of the United States." Huh, cool.

    Like the idiots we are, we were well down the road before we remembered to call home and let them know that we were, in fact, not dead. Hayden volunteered to call Justin back, which made me more at ease. He definitely looked better.

    I called Dean, who despite my wishes, was worried sick. He said he went over to the house and Jay told him to stay. I totally agreed. Why didn't I think of that? It would be a great comfort to know he was among people who would look out for him until all this was over.

    This makes me think about other people in our lives who might be affected. How far would Kiezer be willing to go?

    The uncertainty of everything is making my head spin. Like, seriously, what is even going on?! Calm down Tori. Just take it one step at a time. You can't figure this out alone and you certainly can't figure it out by panicking. I take a deep breath and let it out slowly. Kyle, now awake and doing well, eyes me. Probably wondering what was going through my head.

    Henri has turned down too many back roads to count. After another twenty minutes I question if he really knows where he's going. But before I can really finish the thought we pull up into a clearing. Remains of a burned structure are positioned in the middle of it. This was Joe Devereaux's home, now destroyed. There's hardly anything left.

    Henri pulls around to the back and parks a little ways away from the house. We all pile out and examine the charred mess. "Isn't this considered a crime seen? Won't cops be around?" I ask.

    "Too much time has passed. They're done with the place, and I doubt they'll ever come back here. Cops don't like things they can't explain. And odds are they won't be able to explain this one." Henri answers me. Can't say I disagree with him, but it did come off a little harsh. Especially considering his son was a cop. But I let the the answer roll off.