Eighteen

Hayden

"Bottom line is that I'm not as smart as Joe." I look up. Dad is still talking. "But I've done my best to figure it out and decide a good starting point." Another group meeting. I've zoned out for most of it.

I look around me to see if anyone is actually paying attention. Of course Kyle and Jay are totally captivated. And Sky and Tori. Teague and Gage even look half interested. His favorites. Shut up.

Ava stares at me, almost knowingly. I look away quickly. Some people stand. Dad's done talking. Group meeting over. I need air.

I head toward to back door, not stopping to talk to anyone. Once I'm out of sight I actually start running. Running towards the woods and away from the house. Toward something I hope is safety and away from whatever that is.

Away from them. They want you gone anyways. Shut up. You've always been the problem child. Unstable. The one who never could use their ability. She's right, though. I slap myself. No. They love me. Yeah, dad and I never had a good relationship. But Mom, she loves me.

What about Arik and Leland? They're young. All they know is what the were told growing up. That you've got "issues".

Gage and I will always hate each other. Justin. He's my brother. He never gave up on me. Justin's the perfect child. He has to hold up the good cop reputation. He's dad's favorite. Always has been. Dad doesn't do that. Even if that was so, that's not Jay's fault. And Jay's incapable of having secret agendas. Dad—. Don't get my started on Dad—. I hear a crunching noise and whip around. Ava. I didn't realize I had my hands in my hair and rubbing my face. I let them drop.

"Feeling like the world is against you?" She asks.

"You could say that."

"I know the feeling." She pauses. "You know at some point you have to face the music. Even if it's just in your head." She steps closer to me, lowers her voice. "I can promise you it's not just in your head. And I would listen to her." She gives a sad smile and walks back to the house.

Justin and Dad, they didn't try. They didn't try to save my, Hayden! And I don't fight to correct her.

Justin

All at once I feel different. Maybe it's the lead we've gotten, but all at once I feel like the feat ahead of us ins't impossible. We could actually win this. Excitement fills me and I actually smile.

"Earth to Justin." I look over at Sky, who's standing next to me with a bowl of cereal in her hands. "What's got you so happy?"

"Standing next to you ins't enough?" I remark, my smile not breaking. She chuckles, even blushes a little.

"Very smooth, Jay. But seriously."

"I don't know. I guess I've just found a new outlook on our situation."

"Do tell." She says, taking a bite of her corn flakes.

"That's the thing, I can't really explain it, but somehow I just...I think we're going to be ok." She seems to relax. I didn't even realize she was tense. She sets her bowl down and hugs me.

"You've no idea how happy that makes me to hear you say that." She plants a kiss on my cheek and pulls away when we're interrupted.

"Hey—oh sorry. Am I interrupting something?" Arik asks as he walks into the kitchen.

"No, no, it's fine." I answer. With so many people in this house it would be foolish to expect privacy.

"Ha, I wouldn't have even asked." Teague says, following him in. "This is the kitchen after all." Well, he's got a point.