The Big Reveal

I need your help! I wrote alternate endings to the gender reveal party. Please comment and let me know which ending you like best. Thanks! xox

The cake is taunting me. A tower of four gigantic frosted baby blocks stacked on top of each other—two pink, two blue, and each with a question mark at their center—sits on a table in the garden that's got so many pink and blue balloons tied to it, I'm surprised it doesn't take flight. Though, the cake probably weighs it down. How do those blocks stay upright stacked like that? I'm almost afraid to cut into it for fear of toppling Rome. I observe the team getting things ready for the party through the blinds at the window in my study. I'm not supposed to be peeking, but I can't resist. It's bad enough not knowing the color of that cake, but to not be in charge of the party is literally hell.

Kavanagh is running around snarking out orders at some poor saps carrying chairs and table linens—pink and blue, of course. She really thought out of the box on the color scheme. I can't hear anything in particular, just the annoying buzz emanating from her mouth and the terror on the men's faces. It's like that of a bee, only when it stings you it doesn't die. It turns into a zombie and eats at your brain forever.

"Daddy, Daddy!" the kids say as they rush in, stealing me away from my stare through the slats. They never knock. But, they know they don't have to. My one rule for when I work at home is that my office door is never locked.

"Well, don't you two look adorable," I say as they run to me.

"I don't think so, I'm wearing pink short pants!" Teddy says in outrage, pointing to his pants that his baby blue button up shirt is untucking from. "Why do I gotta wear pink?"

"Because pink is the bestest color that the Rainbow Man ever 'vented!" Phoebe says and gives him a look like she's gonna clock him if he says different.

"Is that like a leprechaun?" I ask.

"No, he's the one the biggest most importantest fairy touched on the nose with her twinkle stick and said 'you must make the colors of everything and put the smile on the sun.'" She mimics a CEO Fairy well.

"Well she chose the right man for the job," I say. "And today, while everyone else wears blue or pink for their guesses, you two are wearing both colors so the babies will see their big brother and big sister are happy either way." I work to re-tuck Teddy's shirt into his pants and straighten him up. He's got some food on his sleeve. I have to pull a handkerchief out from my pocket and wipe him down. I swear, this child goes from zero to dirty in less than sixty seconds.

"But, what if I want turtles?" Teddy asks. "Can't I wear green pants over the pink for turtles?"

"For the last time, there's no chance of your mother having turtles." I ruffle his hair and give him a kiss on the head.

"Isn't my dress pretty, Daddy?" Phoebe asks and twirls. She's wearing a pink gingham sundress with a powder blue sweater, and the pink diamond tiara I gave her adorns her head.

My princess.

"Yes, but not as pretty as the girl wearing it!" I say and she giggles just like Ana. She's such the little lady now. And just yesterday she was the baby girl they placed in my arms. I was so afraid because I knew nothing about little girls. She taught me everything.

"I wore the blue sweater, so when we find out it's my sisters I could take it off and be all pink again," she says.

"And if it's brothers?" I ask.

"I never thought like that." Oh Lord, I hope it's girls for her sake.

Phoebe runs to my chair and sits, pushes off from the desk and starts swiveling around like it's a ride at an amusement park.