I

September 9

    "All right," Mrs. Ashford, an English teacher well-known for her unique teaching methods, clapped her chalk-covered hands, indicating the start of second period English for the high school fourth years.

    Dean, tired for no reason, looked up and saw writing on the board. "Pen Pals" was scribbled in neat calligraphy.

    "As all of you might have read in our board, this year we are to exchange letters to a randomly chosen pen pal from fifth period." Mrs. Ashford said with pure enthusiasm as she pulled out a ballot box. Others groaned while some actually looked interested. "Only rule is, keep yourselves from figuring out to whom you are sending letters to."

    She started from the end of the room, going from person to person, making them snatch a small piece of paper. Mrs. Ashford was standing right next to Dean. He dropped his hand in the box, snatched the closest piece of paper he felt and opened it. Only two letters were scribbled in it. CN.

    The teacher went to every student, and every student more or less did the same as him. Mrs. Ashford passed out blank papers, wanting them to make their first letter of the year to their mystery pen pal.

    Dean stared at the untouched, clean paper on his desk, trying to decide what to write. So he just made it vague.

    Satisfied, he folded the paper and gave it to Ms. Ashford.

*•*•*•*

    "Novak, Castiel?" Cas's new English teacher, Ms. Ashford, called. No reply.

    "Mr. Novak?" she called again.

    "Oh, um, I'm present," he answered. The bell just rung for fifth period, but Castiel was already dozing off. But it was not his fault. His brother, Gabriel, threw a party last night, which kept Cas awake till his alarm went off.

    "I would dearly appreciate it if you were to not sleep in my class, Mr. Novak." the teacher said.

    "I apologize," Cas started. "It will not happen again."

    Ms. Ashford nodded and started discussing about pen pals, and how it will work for them; She passed out the letters their partners made especially for the fifth period class. The last one was for Cas.

    He opened it gingerly, unfolding the crisp paper inside. The letter was short and vague, and the handwriting simple and neat. It read:

"Hey CN,

I don't know you, you don't know me. But we're stuck together. So, how are you, I guess?

From,

DW"

    Castiel read the lines over and over again. DW. That went on for what seemed like a minute until he decided to finally write back, which was ordered by Ms. Ashford while she was still passing the letters.

"Greetings DW,"

    Cas kept his letter a little far from the length of DW's, and with more formality than the other; he read through it a couple of times before nodding in approval.

•~•~•~•

BW_623: Hey, guys~ I hope you all appreciate this first chapter of my fanfic!! Chap. 2 might take a little while because I have other stories going on, too. XD