1.

(Present Day) 

      "We're glad you could make it today Salem." 

      I sat down in the black leather office chair. Usually, when I'm called by the entire Genius Life music production team, they are congratulating me on the success of my most recent record. Considering it has been some time since my last record, I can only imagine what this meeting is about.
      "I'm glad you called me here John. How can I be of service?" I looked anxiously around the table, looking at each of the men and women dressed in their professional attire. Although this isn't my first meeting with this extinguished group of people, this meeting seems a little off.
      "Salem, you have made this company a great deal of money from the moment you joined our team, well that is until now," John stated.
     "It's been a year and we haven't heard anything from you. What happened?" Tamila Mimms, the lady sitting across from me, questioned.  
     "You were on a hot streak. Every record you wrote hit the top," John reminded me.
     I sighed feeling the stress building on my shoulders. "I know it has been a while and for that I am sorry. I'm working on something now. As soon as it is finished, you will be the first to hear it," I responded looking each person directly in their eyes.
    "Salem, we have heard this before. It's been a year. We have to keep the ball rolling at all times. Progress is important."
    I can tell by the tone of John's voice and the look in his eye that something big was about to happen.
     "Salem, you have two options. One, you give Genius Life two hit records before July. Or two, you are going to have to release you from your position with the Genius Life family. The choice is yours," John concluded. I looked in complete disbelief at what I just heard.
     "You have been a great asset to this company. I know this a hard decision, therefore, we will give you until 6:30 p.m today to make your decision," Tamila added.
     I dropped my head in utter shock. After a few seconds, I stood up from my seat and replied, "Thank you very much". I turned on my heels hurrying down the hallway in order to keep my composure. I rushed to my office so that no one would see the breakdown that started to bubble through my body. Usually, I kept my professional composure at work, but the fate of my career was wading in the balance here. I reclined in my plush royal purple love seat and stared at my splatter-painted ceiling trying to figure out what my next move would be. Before I knew it, I started to daydream.

                (Flashback to College Years)
    "Hey. I'm Reese, you must be my roommate."
    "Yes, I'm Salem. Nice to meet you, Reese." I couldn't help but take in how beautiful she was. Reese was a 5'3 mocha colored girl with huge baby doll brown eyes. She wore a basic black t-shirt and blue denim shorts that showed off her toned legs.

     "You must not be from here," Reese stated with a slight chuckle. I cocked my eyebrow in confusion.
     "I'm not. My family just moved here from Denver last year. I didn't realize it was that obvious." I laughed a little bit so that she would know I wasn't offended by her comment.
    "Sweetheart, you're wearing dark wash skinny jeans, brown ankle booties, and elbow length shirt. Maybe nobody told you, but this is Tampa, Florida. It doesn't get hotter than this." Reese responded with a chuckle.
     I looked down at my ensemble and realized that even after a year here, I still don't have the wardrobe thing down. I gave her an uneasy smile and shrugged my shoulders. "I guess I haven't gotten used to the climate here yet."
     Reese looked at me with a huge smile. "Lucky for you, I am the queen of Tampa and fashion is definitely where I get my entire life. Shopping is most definitely on the menu immediately. I can't have my roomie walking around here looking like the poster child for depression! We have to get you right girl!" Reese almost exploded with excitement. I could already tell that Reese and I were going to be great friends.

********************************************
Like, Comment, Spread the word. The more comments, the more chapters I will post.