Chapter 8 - Scorn

Chapter 8: Scorn

Arashi’s eyes were filled with determination. He was tense and confident, his mind set on one thing alone—saving the life of the girl who was once his best friend. Aoi subtly wrapped herself around Arashi’s leg, her affection showing that she was ready. Kiri stood behind Arashi in her intangible form, her face partially hidden by her scarf. She looked cold.

Akida was also ready to help out, his scarf tightened around his neck, and a steel long-sword sheathed at his side. He smiled, tilting his head a bit. “Are you certain you’re ready for this?” Akida asked, “If she doesn’t believe you, things may end badly.”

“I’m ready,” Arashi replied, “I told myself I would have to face her eventually. One way or another, I’ll make sure Midori is erased today.” He looked down at Aoi, knowing that he would need her assistance as well as Kiri’s.

Storm clouds were rolling in above Marrow Peak. It was supposed to rain sometime within the next two hours or so. Arashi approached the Cliffside, seeing Saki staring up at the clouds. Her sister stood beside her. “Somehow I knew I’d find you here,” he said. Saki glanced over at Arashi, her eyes a deeper blue than normal.

“Leave me alone,” she replied, “I was serious when I said I never wanted to see you again!”

“I know you weren’t,” Arashi replied, “I have proof. It’s verbal proof, but still proof.”

“You don’t know anything about the law!” Saki exclaimed, “I don’t even know, and my father was a detective! Just because Akida’s father was a prosecutor…” She paid mind to Akida’s presence beside Arashi’s. “Sorry, I don’t believe I’ve met her before.”

“This is Kiri,” Arashi introduced her; “You’ve met her before, sort of.”

“Is she my replacement?” Saki asked sorely, “Was I not good enough for you?” Arashi could see Alexis mouthing out Saki’s words.

“You were,” Arashi replied, “Until you became a puppet.”

“What do you mean?” Saki asked, “I’m no puppet of yours.”

“You’re unhappy,” Arashi said, “Your parents are gone, your only living relative is a fraud…”

“Don’t you dare talk badly about my sister!” Saki demanded, “You don’t know her!”

“I know her better than I know you,” Arashi responded, “because she’s shown me everything. Haven’t you noticed her? She pulls out that book and you start talking like you don’t care anymore. I didn’t realize it at first, but every time I spoke to you, she was beside you, and every time I said something negative, she would pull out her book as you scolded me. And look at her now.”

Saki turned to face Alexis, who flinched behind the pages of her book. “Why don’t you confess, Midori?” Arashi offered, “It will make things much easier for you in the end.”

“Fool…” Alexis said, “You don’t know what you’re talking about! Let’s ditch this moron, Saki…” Her sister looked up at her with bright eyes. She believed everything Arashi said, and Alexis was not happy. “Do you honestly believe him?”

“I’m afraid you’ve reached the end, Midori,” Akida said modestly, “Now then, you’ll have to let Saki go now.”

“I can’t,” Alexis replied, “because you revealing my true identity has only given me the perfect reason to complete my Rogue status…”

Alexis’ eyes began to glow green, and her golden blonde hair once again turned a dark green color. She pulled out a knife from her pocket and disappeared. Saki’s eyes widened with confusion and disbelief before her eyes hallowed out and a pair of sharp black wings spawned from her back. Midori had forcefully merged with Saki. “This bitch’s body is so weak; I can’t feel any energy coming from it at all…” Midori said, her voice deeper and more controlling as it echoed from within Saki’s mind. “Well, what do you think, Arashi? Should I let you do the honors?”