Chapter 5 - Afflictions

Chapter 5: Affliction

Saki trembled as she reminded herself of what she had said to Arashi. “I’m not stupid!” she had screamed before smacking him. Tears flooded her eyes at the thought of Arashi never speaking to her again.

“Do you honestly believe that?” Alexis asked her sister, straightening her beret. “Arashi’s not stupid either, you know.”

“Y-You heard?” Saki asked her sister with shock. She was unaware that Alexis had been listening in on her conversation.

“I saw the whole thing,” she replied. “When something like this happens, it’s never your fault. He’s not stupid. He’s not sorry, either.”

“What do you mean?” Saki asked naively, “He…He was crying!”

“Tears?” Alexis asked, wrapping her arm around her sister, her blond hair intertwining with Saki’s blue hair, “My dear sister, you know not, ‘tears’… His reaction was laughter… He hurt you, and your response amused him.”

“What do you mean?!” Saki asked again, this time with more emotion, “You…You don’t think he hates me, do you?”

“I would,” Alexis replied, “but I think that you’re the one who hates him.” She pulled out a book and began to read it as Saki spoke. Her lips moved in sync with Saki’s, though she hid behind her book.

“I never want to see him again,” Saki decided. She pulled out her cell phone and began writing a text message to Arashi. “Someone as negative and self-centered as you…” She hissed at her phone as Alexis let go of her sister. Glaring her eyes at her cell phone, she chose to send the text message to Arashi. “Sister,” she said quietly, “I’m going to visit Marrow Peak. Don’t follow me.” Alexis nodded.

“Take your time, dear,” Alexis replied, brushing her hair out of her eyes. Saki waved as she put on her headphones, designed after blue butterflies, and walked outside.

The sun was low in the sky in Liva City. Walking up the slanted path, you could see the sun as if the path was more of a stairway into the red and orange light composed of the sun’s fiery body. Liva was a run-down district, with the sides of buildings plastered with graffiti and other ornaments of destruction. The auburn-colored bricks were covered with cracks and bloodstains.

Arashi dragged his feet along the ground as he followed the sidewalk path to where Aodah’s pub was. He was searching for Akida to find out more about AI, now that he knew what was going on. Kiri and Aoi silently followed behind Arashi, Kiri remaining in a transparent state.

I think I’ve been here before… Kiri thought to herself, this district was once the stage of a massive heist. She looked up at the large buildings around her and recalled something. Yes! I remember now! There were two factions. The first one was called the General Government, and the other was called the Dark Riots Brigade. From what I heard, the General Government was promised the safe return of one of their high commander’s top soldiers in exchange for a government intelligence program…It was the same kind that could make AI…But if I told Arashi that, he would probably just want to go find the General Government himself in search of more information…That’s why I can’t tell him anything else, Aoi… He’ll start asking questions, and eventually he’ll get the General Government on our tails! We can’t afford to be captured by them before Dominic and the N-AI, so I’ll just keep quiet about it…

Kiri spoke a lot to herself in her mind. Even though she had so much to say, she couldn’t vocalize any of it. She worried that nobody would understand her deepest thoughts. She looked over at Arashi, who had suddenly stopped moving. “I-Is everything okay?” she asked him. Arashi shook his head.