Chapter 12 - Greed

Chapter 12: Greed

                The room that Dominic Arakawa stood in was nearly pitch black, lit only by the light emanating from a wide computer screen positioned on the wall in front of him. His long silver hair was reflected in a blue-ish light by the screen. Dominic, his silver eyes, bloodshot; his scarred face, pale as the night, stared intently at the screen in front of him. “Have you been waiting long, mate?” he asked a man who had just entered the room behind him.

The man wore a black and green suit, checkered at the torso. A black and green checkered cap covered his hair. His nose was a bit pointy, and his eyes were blue as the ocean. He shook his head and spoke in a Russian accent. “No, comrade, I’ve only just arrived.” Dominic turned to face is associate. “You know, you’d best be seeing the light soon. It’s unhealthy to keep yourself locked indoors.”

                “You’re a bloke to talk, Nikolai,” Dominic replied, “You’re a bloody alcoholic, one to talk to me about bully health.”

                “Count your chickens before they hatch,” Nikolai said, “And you make yourself a fine farmer indeed.” He smiled and skipped to the point. “I overheard something as I consumed my evening vodka shot. The chief of the Dark Riots Brigade, his lady friend is in a state of peril. From the sound of things, the Brigade is also in a state of peril. It seems like now we have the upper hand.”

                Dominic shook his head. “Fate is a cruel mistress, Nikolai,” he said, “One false move, and everyone and their bloody mother’s out of commission. I’d rather not be one o’ them blokes.” He picked up a small pot from a counter next to the computer he had been staring at and poured a liquid substance into a smaller cup. It was tea. He continued after he took a sip. “The Dark Rioters are already on to our plots, Nikolai. If we progress any louder, the General Government will be next. We cannot risk it. From thus forward, we must leave our operations strictly to Desiree and Dante. Foremost, they must provide a distraction within the rebelling AI. That is why we must kill Akida Nomura, who appears to be in the middle of the rebelling AI, K-141 and A-014.”

                “Essentially, we have to defeat the ones that pose the biggest threat to us by creating uproar,” Nikolai confirmed, “Is that correct?”

                Dominic brushed his hair out of his eyes, revealing the scar that crossed his nose. “Arashi Kazeyoru…and Saki Mitsurashi,” he said, “are humans being possessed by K-141 and A-014 respectively. If my perfect world is to become a reality, both of them must be exterminated.”

                “Ah, that is quite a feat you would be achieving,” Nikolai said, applauding his associate, “However, do you believe it is as simple as it sounds?”

                “Not at all,” Dominic replied, “But we’ve been pursuing this conquest for the last fifteen years. I do not intend on stopping now.” He turned to face his computer again, not saying another word as Nikolai left his presence.

                                ***

                Meanwhile, in the lesser part of the world, chaos had already begun to ensue…sort of. With a bright and deluded smile, Saki was standing on top of the statue in the center of Malway’s Plaza holding a microphone in one hand. Her guitar was strapped around her shoulder. She winked as she announced her ‘big news’.

                Standing behind her with a dismayed expression, unseen to the world around him, Aquarius dreaded exactly what Saki had announced. On this cold October afternoon, only two weeks remained until the end of the month, when Saki had planned on performing in front of an extremely large amount of people—though not that large—the entire province of Malway.